Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Bradley: The Closer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
In reading some of the reports on the free agents we've signed, it sounds like Caldwell is using Gus Bradley to seal the deal with players they're really interested in landing. 

I know we've discussed this previously when the conversations surrounding him coaching the Senior Bowl and what benefit that would offer the team.  At the time, I mentioned the fact that it would have long-term ramifications for those players who were on his squad.  While they may not wind up with the Jaguars as rookies, when they come up for free agency, they'd be more likely to consider the Jaguars because of Gus Bradley.

It sounds like there's some merit to this opinion. We've never had a head coach who has the kind of personality that makes him a draw for players. 

There are those who have repeatedly said "why would player ______ want to play in Jacksonville?"  I think Gus is quickly becoming a reason despite being #6 on the glitter coaching ranking in 2013. 

We've seen the product on the field improve over the course of a season, so we know Gus has the chops to be a good coach.  Being the kind of coach guys want to play for can only help speed up the rebound of this franchise.

WHew, glad we were able to seal the deal with Dekoda Watson due to having Bradley in tow. 

Please,....until we land someone of relevance because of Bradley being here, the above post is nothing but a puff piece. 

Quote:WHew, glad we were able to seal the deal with Dekoda Watson due to having Bradley in tow. 

Please,....until we land someone of relevance because of Bradley being here, the above post is nothing but a puff piece. 
The fact that you're not impressed with the signings is a good indication they're headed in the right direction. 
Quote:WHew, glad we were able to seal the deal with Dekoda Watson due to having Bradley in tow. 

This board was a lot better when you were banned
When you're gone,

when you're gone,

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone...

:whistle:
Quote:This board was a lot better when you were banned
Ain't that the truth.
Gus Bradley is Jacksonville's best asset, he's a true leader of men, those are hard to find.

Quote:This board was a lot better when you were banned
That's not true at all. If everyone agreed on this board it would be very very boring.

I think the signings so far have been really good but I honestly have no clue who Dakoda Watson is so I can't say im excited about him. I do really like Beadles, Bryant and Gerhart. Hopefully we can get Young and Thurmond to go with it. That would be a really good 5.

Sorry nothing signed so far is SHINY enough for you.

What part of getting better each day in incremental steps is not understood?

HeadSlap

vision, not Madden.
Quote:That's not true at all. If everyone agreed on this board it would be very very boring.

I think the signings so far have been really good but I honestly have no clue who Dakoda Watson is so I can't say im excited about him. I do really like Beadles, Bryant and Gerhart. Hopefully we can get Young and Thurmond to go with it. That would be a really good 5.

I think 9/10 people agree with me
Quote:I think 9/10 people agree with me
You have to admit though... When he goes up against someone and they get into an argument, its pretty fun to sit back and watch.
The free agent signings this year is exactly what happened last year. Middle of the road players who can shine in our system if they put through the effort. All relatively cheap as well.

As far as Caldwell using Bradley as an ace in the hole, It does matter. Just because a middle of the road player hasn't put up monster numbers doesn't mean a middle of the road player cant do it. To say it doesn't matter just because we haven't signed a big name free agent is false.

This also on the same coin doesn't mean Bradley is a star coach yet either. He still has much to prove.

Side note Edit: Quit jumping on Mad Dog everytime he has an unpopular opinion. I think he is wrong here but doesn't mean he should be insulted everytime he posts. Embrace opinions people

I'm of a mixed opinion on this topic.

On the one hand, it is good that finally we are active in free agency again.

I got sick of the Ketchmanite mantra of "No bargains the first week of free agency" every year, as other teams got good players.

I think the team had some decent signings thus far.  Bryant and Beadles upgrades LDE and LG, respectively.

Gerhart intrigues me and, if he gets the C and G, could be a very productive RB.  Almost like this generation's Keenan McCardell signing.

I am not AGAINST these signings so far, and I would applaud a Thurmond signing.

Furthermore, we need role players.  Not every free agent signing can be a top dollar, premiere guy.

But are these guys difference makers?  Are they catalysts?  Do any of these guys give us matchup advantages the way a shut down corner like Talib would?

I think these signings represent progress, but no one of these guys, at face value, appears to put the Jaguars "over the top."
Quote:The fact that you're not impressed with the signings is a good indication they're headed in the right direction. 

Some of the signings were decent, inexpensive. Cog type. None of the signings made were really difference makers though. 

Your post just seems a bit silly, when you consider the type of signings we are making. I mean, if Bradley's presence was directly quoted for a player like a Jairus Byrd or Alex Mack signing, then thats one thing....but lol, c'mon...using it for signings like Watson & Willie Young is kinda funny. 
Quote:Some of the signings were decent, inexpensive. Cog type. None of the signings made were really difference makers though. 

Your post just seems a bit silly, when you consider the type of signings we are making. I mean, if Bradley's presence was directly quoted for a player like a Jairus Byrd or Alex Mack signing, then thats one thing....but lol, c'mon...using it for signings like Watson & Willie Young is kinda funny. 

What are you talking about, they signed Henne. He's definitely a difference maker.

Not necessarily the kind of difference you want from a QB, but he's certainly going to make a difference.
Quote:The free agent signings this year is exactly what happened last year. Middle of the road players who can shine in our system if they put through the effort. All relatively cheap as well.

As far as Caldwell using Bradley as an ace in the hole, It does matter. Just because a middle of the road player hasn't put up monster numbers doesn't mean a middle of the road player cant do it. To say it doesn't matter just because we haven't signed a big name free agent is false.

This also on the same coin doesn't mean Bradley is a star coach yet either. He still has much to prove.

Side note Edit: Quit jumping on Mad Dog everytime he has an unpopular opinion. I think he is wrong here but doesn't mean he should be insulted everytime he posts.
Agreed.  He still has much to prove on the field as a coach, but I think what we saw last year is promising. 

Signing big name free agents doesn't matter as much as signing the right free agents for this team.  Some people don't fully grasp this concept.
Quote:Sorry nothing signed so far is SHINY enough for you.

What part of getting better each day in incremental steps is not understood?

HeadSlap

vision, not Madden.

Without any real difference makers, the record isn't changing much....

We need to add some stud impact players, too. 

Bradley would most likely agree. 
Quote: 

I think these signings represent progress, but no one of these guys, at face value, appears to put the Jaguars "over the top."

I'm curious, exactly what signing do you think would have put the Jaguars "over the top" this season?  

We are more then one or two players away from reaching the top.   You first shore up the foundation then think about building UP.  
Quote:Some of the signings were decent, inexpensive. Cog type. None of the signings made were really difference makers though. 

I don't think the Jaguars will sign any players that are perceived to getting us over the top until we get close to the top, we're clearly not there yet. It's the same strategy Seattle implemented, when they got close, they traded for Percy Harvin and signed the likes of Michaal Bennett & Cliff Avril. It would be stupid for the Jaguars at this point to spend $56M on guys like Jairus Byrd, or the insane amount of money the Broncos gave Aqib Talib.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13