Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sexton On Culture Shift
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Interesting paragraph from Sexton today in his portion of the "quick thoughts" column. 

3.Culture cannot be overstated. In the days that followed Ramsey’s childish outburst in Houston, I was told repeatedly that the Jaguars didn’t have a bad locker room as much as a bad culture. If the Ramsey saga teaches us anything it’s that character builds culture – and a few of the Jaguars best players were culture killers. Ramsey was always “me first.” Despite all the hype around linebacker Telvin Smith, he showed us he wasn’t the high-character leader that linebacker Paul Posluszny was before him. Philadelphia has a great culture; New England has a culture that always puts team before individual and Baltimore has long had a high standard in its locker room. The Jaguars have a lot of high character, good culture guys but they were drowned out at times by the flamboyant, quotable, followable, shareable antics of guys like Ramsey, Smith – and last year, running back Leonard Fournette. The removal of Ramsey and Smith – and Fournette’s apparent conversion – should help clean up a locker room that wasn’t cleaning up after itself. That’s the end goal: a locker room where the players set the standard of how Jaguars football is played.
(10-17-2019, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting paragraph from Sexton today in his portion of the "quick thoughts" column. 

3.Culture cannot be overstated. In the days that followed Ramsey’s childish outburst in Houston, I was told repeatedly that the Jaguars didn’t have a bad locker room as much as a bad culture. If the Ramsey saga teaches us anything it’s that character builds culture – and a few of the Jaguars best players were culture killers. Ramsey was always “me first.” Despite all the hype around linebacker Telvin Smith, he showed us he wasn’t the high-character leader that linebacker Paul Posluszny was before him. Philadelphia has a great culture; New England has a culture that always puts team before individual and Baltimore has long had a high standard in its locker room. The Jaguars have a lot of high character, good culture guys but they were drowned out at times by the flamboyant, quotable, followable, shareable antics of guys like Ramsey, Smith – and last year, running back Leonard Fournette. The removal of Ramsey and Smith – and Fournette’s apparent conversion – should help clean up a locker room that wasn’t cleaning up after itself. That’s the end goal: a locker room where the players set the standard of how Jaguars football is played.

If the players cant hold each other accountable then no one can. If no one is willing to step up to Ramsey then the EVP will, and when he does it wont be very respectful.

So if the players dont want to be disrespected, they need to regulate themselves.
(10-17-2019, 10:19 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2019, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting paragraph from Sexton today in his portion of the "quick thoughts" column. 

If the players cant hold each other accountable then no one can. If no one is willing to step up to Ramsey then the EVP will, and when he does it wont be very respectful.

So if the players dont want to be disrespected, they need to regulate themselves.

By all account, Coughlin may have done just that. You’re never going to be able to control everyone, and Ramsey is too strong willed to listen to anyone he doesn’t want to listen to.
No one complained about the culture when we were 10-6 in the AFC championship. Same guys we’re on our team and Ramsey was still getting into it with folks.

A winning culture is simply built upon the foundation of consistent winning, if you’re losing welll...
Is this where the ‘Coughlin is a dinosaur who is driving away all the top players’ argument begins?
I think individual teams fans get into this miopíc view of themselves.

EVERY team says the cliches, “Team First” , “we won’t tolerate x form of misbehavior”

EVERY team tries to establish this culture, but they cannot. Because they aren’t winning in the now and they aren’t consistent.

How do you win consistently? Have a foundational group of guys and coaches who are here for 8+ years.
I think this is a good assessment. I have suggested something similar before.

It's not that Ramsey disrespected players, it's that he had a certain gravitas that influenced other players. Instead of the prevailing attitude being one towards collective growth, the attitude was one of individual gain. I think Ramsey wanted to see the team do well, but in his mind, he has to look out for number one. That means playing how he plays, and demanding money and respect. If other players adopt that attitude, it changes the culture. If on the other hand, you contrast that with a Poz or Cambell approach, you see people focused on the game and the team. Campbell is literally looking for gatorade to take to Fournette on breaks. He knows the offense needs to do well. He knows the young guys needs to do well. You're not going to get every player on the team to think like that, but if the culture is closer to the latter than the former, you will have better team dynamics.

Truth be told, it's my opinion that Ramsey has contributed to the ineffectiveness of the defense. There's been multiple reports of him refusing to play zone, which I think has created trust issues and encouraged everyone to try to do more than they should to compensate. I am curious if the team will gel more without him here. If they just do their jobs and think as a unit, I think our defense will improve. It may not be elite, but it should be solid. I'd like to try to replace Herndon, though. I'd be open to trading one of those first round picks for a good CB.
(10-17-2019, 10:31 AM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]No one complained about the culture when we were 10-6 in the AFC championship. Same guys we’re on our team and Ramsey was still getting into it with folks.

A winning culture is simply built upon the foundation of consistent winning, if you’re losing welll...

That's not actually accurate. 

There have been teams that have established a new culture prior to consistently winning. 
I've sat through a dozen pregame presentations from the networks over the years talking about how this team or that turned around their culture to subsequently reach the playoffs. Replete with testimonials from coaches and players. 

I'm not going to say that losing Telvin and Ramsey is the cure all for whatever weirdness was in this locker room, but I'd venture that the guys remaining will be inclined to rally together and win despite those departures. 

Having guys like Campbell, Allen, Fournette, Minshew, Chark etc. that all appear bought-in and motivated will help.
It'll start trending in the right direction. We saw Fournette lay into Cam Robinson in Denver at the end of that win when he was on the verge of losing his cool and potentially costing them the win.

He's making these guys take their roles seriously and holding them accountable. I am proud of him. I had all but lost hope in that kid last year with the punches being thrown and the year before he was running late to meetings or missing team photos. He's turned it around.

It's good to see young men acting like grown men. It's a business. You get back what you put in. THAT's how you earn a 2nd contract extension. I hope they do the right thing and get Ngakoue and Fournette signed up down the road. Hopefully sooner rather than later. This team has a good young core on offense and defense and they now have 18 [BLEEP] selections over the next two years to add some quality talent and depth.

No reason to feel down in the dumps if you're a fan of this franchise. Just hope they come out of Cincy with a win and follow it up with a good ol' fashion [BLEEP] whoopin' on the Jets at home shortly after that. 4 - 4 going into London against the tinhorns for round II sets the stage for a HUGE morale boost. And they can do it. They just need to keep on holding each other accountable. And keep their cool.
Makes you wonder. Calais is supposed to be some great, transcendent leader, but the inmates ran/run the asylum.
(10-17-2019, 10:52 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder. Calais is supposed to be some great, transcendent leader, but the inmates ran/run the asylum.

Did you not read the quote?

"The Jaguars have a lot of high character, good culture guys but they were drowned out at times by the flamboyant, quotable, followable, shareable antics of guys like Ramsey, Smith – and last year, running back Leonard Fournette. The removal of Ramsey and Smith – and Fournette’s apparent conversion – should help clean up a locker room that wasn’t cleaning up after itself."
(10-17-2019, 10:52 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder. Calais is supposed to be some great, transcendent leader, but the inmates ran/run the asylum.

The rotational guys along the front four seem to gravitate towards him. He can't be everywhere. He has a job to do. As does everybody else. 

The secondary lacks a voice now. The voice they did have left with his back pain to L.A and he was mostly a [BLEEP] talker and not a motivator to begin with. Bouye can be that voice. Maybe Harrison. Somebody will have to emerge on the back end at some point. 

But calling out Campbell for the acts of Ramsey? Meh. Idk about that one.
Kind of really amazing how the locker room had so much defensive swag in 2017 which one would think would align with our former FSU standouts Telvin Smith and Jalen Ramsey, but it really seems like they weren't prepared for the disciplinary requirements that come with real professionals and team leaders.
Meh Ramsey backed up his talk on the field who cares now right HoF player is gone.
Never a big fan of Sexton, but he got this right. I expect this team to be galvanized by this move and end the season somewhere around 8-8. No doubt, they need to address certain position groups in the next draft in order to seriously compete for the playoffs, but now they have the ammunition to do this.
(10-17-2019, 11:09 AM)nhiverson Wrote: [ -> ]Meh Ramsey backed up his talk on the field who cares now right HoF player is gone.

When he refused to play zone, was caught out of position and hurt the team?

No thanks.
(10-17-2019, 11:07 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of really amazing how the locker room had so much defensive swag in 2017 which one would think would align with our former FSU standouts Telvin Smith and Jalen Ramsey, but it really seems like they weren't prepared for the disciplinary requirements that come with real professionals and team leaders.

Well. Look at how Jameis Winston conducted himself out there with the Seminoles. Jimbo sucked. He didn't hold his kids accountable. And as it was pointed out earlier. Nobody gave a [BLEEP] about the culture there nor in 2017 here because they were winning football games, albeit, they were winning football games against a bunch of [BLEEP] box teams with 2nd and 3rd string QB's playing while losing to teams like Arizona and San Francisco. But hey, it happens.
(10-17-2019, 11:09 AM)nhiverson Wrote: [ -> ]Meh Ramsey backed up his talk on the field who cares now right HoF player is gone.

HoF player.  Bwahahahahahaha....
(10-17-2019, 11:23 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]

HoF player.  Bwahahahahahaha....
He's certainly got HOF talent but not sure if it will translate to a HOF career.
"Culture"

such an overplayed word.

we were told the change happened when we got rid of Gus and got rid of the "losing culture"
And everyone bought it when we went 10-6

Now the culture still needs changing, or changing again?

insert eye roll here
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8