Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade the 2020 draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thought we needed a thread for people to vomit up all their draft takes. Here's mine...

Love it picks
Shenault - Exactly the type of dynamic playmaker the jags needed. Could provide another dimension to our offense and provide new possibilities in terms of the playbook. This guy would have been a top 20 player if it wasn't for injuries.
Bartch - Really like this dude, lots of potential. A steal where we took him. Will be afforded the time to develop. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a long term starter.

Like it picks
Collin Johnson - Again, adds a different element to our offense and opens up new possibilities for the playbook. Look for him to be used in that big slot role and get plenty of red zone looks.
Shaq Quarterman - Mixed opinions on this guy, but I'm of the opinion that old-school linebackers are not as obsolete as some people make them out to be. He'll be a good player to add in him heavy packages, and be part of a situational LB rotation.
Davon Hamilton - Another guy who looks very high floor, I'd be surprised if this guy isn't a very solid NT in the NFL for a long time. And 3rd round is about right for that.

OK picks
Henderson - Guy has talent and potential to be a lockdown corner. That makes it an ok pick at 9. Still, I think there were a lot more talented guys available there, or via a trade down.
Chaisson - Again, talent and potential at a premium position. It's ok. But again, I feel like we could've played the draft a bit better and ended up with better talent.
Scott - Supposedly talented player who can play nickel, but surely Robertson would have been a better pick?

Meh picks

Haven't really heard of the other guys much so meh, let's see what happens.

Overall = B. Shenault is the saving grace I think, could be a massive player for us. If the first rounders turn into the players they could be, then this a great draft. Unfortunately I feel they will pale in comparison to the players drafted around them.
I grade the draft based on how unfamiliar I am with the picks. And for me? I give it a A+ +
Overall, it was a very depressing draft. This team needs to score points and instead they are drafting like it's 1985 majority on defense. IN my opinion they should of shifted their focus primarily on offense. I also think Dave should of used his draft stock to try to move up and get some better players. There were #1 receivers and offensive lineman within our range with the 1st and 2nd day picks. I understand defense is needed but not everything is getting fixed in one year. I think Minshew should of been given more support, especially early in the draft.

Jags drafting mostly for defense in an offensive driven league. It is going to be a very long rebuild.

C-

Op should put this as a poll
Probably the most anticlimactic draft in a long time. Arizona pretty much stole 3 of our picks. I like the Bartch, Viska, and believe it or not Luton picks. I think we'd have picked Simmons over Henderson, but we didn't get the chance. Would rather have gone Wills or Becton at 9, but I'll take a guy like CJ and hope he learns to tackle better.

I'll go B-, and admit it was kinda boring after pick 42.
F
I I liked the 1st 10 picks. The last 2, shoulda been like... runnin back or sum'n - Solid B

But wait... Dave did said he turned down an extra 3rd and a 4th to move back to 16 and he said if Henderson was gone he woulda took Chaisson at 9... Took Chaisson at 20. Soooo.... We coulda had those extra picks, got a really good player at 16 and still took his guy at 20 (Well, i guess in that scenario, Dave woulda picked K'Lavon at 16) but still-

And the whole let down of these cancers not being removed... Atleast one of'm.. Gotta downgrade it to a barely making a B- ok... C+

Know what. We're just gonna omit this one. Chalk it up to da virus. Go Jags!
Ask this question in about 3 years.
(04-25-2020, 09:23 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Overall, it was a very depressing draft.   This team needs to score points and instead they are drafting like it's 1985 majority on defense.   IN my opinion they should of shifted their focus primarily on offense.  I also think Dave should of used his draft stock to try to move up and get some better players. There were #1 receivers and offensive lineman within our range with the 1st and 2nd day picks.   I understand defense is needed but not everything is getting fixed in one year.   I think Minshew should of been given more support, especially early in the draft.

Jags drafting mostly for defense in an offensive driven league.   It is going to be a very long rebuild.

C-

Yep, I agree. Too many reaches, too many choices when I thought better options were available.

Failing to help Minshew in the first round was the biggest mistake to me.

D
My only disappointment was not moving up to get a second pick in round 2 or 3. I'd rather get another potential starter than development players that probably won't be here in a year. I drop it a letter grade for that alone.
B

My problem with it was I thought they needed to make moves with all their picks to move up. Thought they could get 5 starters/rotation guys, ended up with probably 4. I don’t have much of a problem like most here do with going more defense than offense early. Believe it or not, you still need defense to win. This year is all about evaluating Minshew. And the best way imo to evaluate him is to see how he plays in competitive games. We could go all offense in the first to help him that way, but when we’re down double digits every game because our defense can’t stop a thing, teams will play vanilla and he’ll stat pad like Bortles did and you don’t get a great evaluation of him that way.

Henderson - by far the second best corner in the draft. Yeah, OL is also a need we coulda gone OT, but our CB group is probably the worst position group in the NFL. Would have liked to trade down a few then grab him, but risky with Atlanta trying their hardest to trade up for him

Chiasson - lukewarm about him. Tools wise is great, but the production didn’t match. Not the biggest fan of those guys, especially in a rich draft like this. But the value is there. Would’ve preferred a trade back.

Shenault - great pick. Obviously durability is a concern, but is a guy who can make plays with the ball in his hands. We don’t have anyone like that. Hopefully our Debo Samuel.

Hamilton - thought this was a spot needed to trade up from, don’t hate the player, but a center fielder like Ashtyn Davis would have been better value.

Bartch - OL needs help and was a guy many thought would go Day 2, no complaints

Scott - eventual Hayden replacement in the nickel. Good pick.

Rest of the draft outside Johnson and Luton was meh. Would’ve liked another OL. Trading up for Dotson instead of Quarterman should’ve been the pick.
I'm really coming around on Henderson, I love love love Chaisson and Shenault, Hamilton I think will surprise people and be a huge help in our porous run defense with Schobert too, I'm a big fan of Bartch and was lobbying for him, the nickel CB I've heard only great things about, but after that they might as well be UDFA as far as I'm concerned. Collin Johnson is intriguing in the RZ and hopefully he'll surprise people but my hopes are not very high for him.

All in all, B- mostly due to the 1st 3 guys being great players
(04-25-2020, 09:23 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Overall, it was a very depressing draft.   This team needs to score points and instead they are drafting like it's 1985 majority on defense.   IN my opinion they should of shifted their focus primarily on offense.  I also think Dave should of used his draft stock to try to move up and get some better players. There were #1 receivers and offensive lineman within our range with the 1st and 2nd day picks.   I understand defense is needed but not everything is getting fixed in one year.   I think Minshew should of been given more support, especially early in the draft.

Jags drafting mostly for defense in an offensive driven league.   It is going to be a very long rebuild.

C-
Then you would have really hated Carolina's draft. Their whole draft was literally defense, lol.
We ranked 26th in the league for ppg at 18.8 in 2019 and drafted 1 possible playmaker. We ranked 21st in the league in points allowed at 24.8 and spent nearly every resource this offseason on that side of the ball. The fact that we averaged less 20 points a game and averaged giving up less than 30 points a game tells me that the offense probably could have used more help than what they got.

Because of that, I give our offseason grade a D. I’m probably going to be wrong, but it looks to me like a lot of 30-14 loses coming up again this season.
After settling down a bit. And accepting the fact that we've had to perform damage control this entire off season based on the issues with key contributors leaving or trying to leave?

I'll go with a C+.I like the Henderson pick IF he shows up in the tackling department. A CB that cant tackle in a division with three power backs with break away speed is a concern. Chaisson can do a lot of different things. If Wash is truly installing more favorable looks to free up Allen and maximize Jack and Chaisson? Could be a good pick.

Hamilton in RD3 looks like a reach to most people. But I love it. I think he'll surprise people. He's a space eater but can also sneak up on you in the pass rushing department. He should keep Schobert and Jack clean to mop up the running game while enabling Allen to get around the edge when needed.

I like Shenault and Johnson at WR. I think they are great value picks. Thess guys are strong. They have break away ability in the open field and can high point the football in the red zone. I think they'll compliment Chark and Conley really well. Bartch seems promising for a small school prospect. I don't think he'll start right away. But he could develop into Cann's replacement.

The reason I couldn't give this draft a B+ is because of how underwhelming the 4th RD picks were on paper. Passing on Tyler Biadasz, Bryce Hall and Curtis Weaver there really, really bothered me. Scott, Quarterman and Thomas are all just guys that may or may not make it. Biadasz can start. Hall, when fully healthy? Probably a starter by mid season. Weaver would have been a solid edge rusher that late.

We'll see what happens. But the 4th RD picks and 5th RD picks had much better value IMHO. And with that many you would think more chances would have been taken or trades would have been initiated for earlier on in the draft or for next year.
It's a solid B from me. I think the big thing that I do like from this draft is the potential and high ceiling they went for. It's a very boom or bust draft.

Henderson has the tools to be the #1 CB in the draft.

Chaisson has all the tools to be an elite pass rusher and I do think he holds up very well in the run game.

Laviska is going to be a fun one if he learns routes.

Hamilton is going to do his job as run stuffer...no frills

Bartch is going to be interesting...give him 2 years in a NFL weight room and see what he becomes. What that kid turned himself into in 4 years at a D3 school shows he has the self drive.

I see these 5 as the only ones who will make an impact in the next 2 years.

But I only see 1 safe choice in this draft in Hamilton...the other 4 could just as easily bust but I do like the idea of swinging for the fences.
No poll? I'd say delete the trade and make one with a poll.

I give them a C

I like the first 3 players (I would have done differently though).
Hamilton feels like a bit of reach
Pretty obvious Caldwell is awful at making trades
Short CBs
BB could develop into a good player but I think it's gonna take some time
A slower version of Matt Jones
An old school LB
A TE that is not probably gonna make the team unless Eifert goes down again
A SS with no coverage ability
The QB is ok I guess for a 6th, maybe he can be a good backup.
B+. Liked the 1st round picks in Henderson and Chaisson. Picked up good WRs. Quarterman will be a nice addition.
We got the best man coverage corner in the draft, a raw, but very versatile and very athletic edge rusher, a dynamic WR who is built like a RB, a run stuffing nose tackle that we desperately needed and that was just in thre first two days. What is not to love? The draft gets an A just for that. A- at worst. Then you throw in we got the one Linebacker I really wanted in Quarterman and a pure recieving TE that were desperately needed and that just puts a cherry on thre top. My only wish is we picked up a RB to replace Fournette but, you can't have everything, lol.
(04-25-2020, 10:00 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: [ -> ]We ranked 26th in the league for ppg at 18.8 in 2019 and drafted 1 possible playmaker. We ranked 21st in the league in points allowed at 24.8 and spent nearly every resource this offseason on that side of the ball. The fact that we averaged less 20 points a game and averaged giving up less than 30 points a game tells me that the offense probably could have used more help than what they got.

Because of that, I give our offseason grade a D. I’m probably going to be wrong, but it looks to me like a lot of 30-14 loses coming up again this season.

We were giving up like close to 200 rushing yards a game though so yeah
I look at it from how they supplemented position groups..... They got 2 receivers that will see playing time (one significant playing time). They added a guy who should be able to do what Yannick does and helps Jack and Allen. They got a guy who could help stop the run, a backup lineman, a QB with a lot of learning and something to prove, the second best (and best available at the pick.......) CB, and CB that will serve as a rotational backup, and a LB that will compete for playing time. They improved the defense and several position groups this weekend and have minshew some more options to spread the ball around. Can't expect a ton more than that. Solid B+ with potential for it to be an A draft if several of these players live up to potential.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8