Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: *** Official Draft Thread- Day 3***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Just some notable players still available heading into Day 3....

DT/DL:
Adetomiwa Adebawore
Jalen Redmond
Karl Brooks
Moro Ojomo
Coby Wooden
Jaquelin Roy

Edge:
Andre Carter
Nick Herbig
Viliami Fehoko

LB:
Henry To'oto'o
Owen Pappoe

DB:
Kelee Ringo
Jakorian Bennett
JL Skinner
Antonio Johnson
Clark Phillips
Darius Rush
Cory Trice
Eli Ricks

OL:
Dawand Jones
Blake Freeland
Nick Saldiveri
Chandler Zavala
Jaelyn Duncan
Anthony Bradford

TE:
Will Mallory

RB:
Zach Evans
Roschon Johnson

QB:
We got Trevor

WR:
Tyler Scott
Parker Washington
Andrei Iosivas
AT Perry
Kayshon Boutte
Demario Douglas
Trey Palmer
I'm just fascinated to find out what they are going to do with 10 picks...

As i stated in the other thread ESPN are reporting that Baalke had a debatable grade on 127 players total... And again to put that into some kind of context we have pick #127 ... And another 8 after that. I acknowledge that some of those players may or may not have gone but unless we have some kind of plan for using those picks there seems a huge potential to waste a lot of draft capital which could have been used in earlier rounds. 

I'd not like to guess but we surely have picked up the phone to the cards to see if they'd be amenable to flipping a couple of picks for Budda Baker
(04-29-2023, 08:03 AM)cat bells Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just fascinated to find out what they are going to do with 10 picks...

As i stated in the other thread ESPN are reporting that Baalke had a debatable grade on 127 players total... And again to put that into some kind of context we have pick #127 ... And another 8 after that. I acknowledge that some of those players may or may not have gone but unless we have some kind of plan for using those picks there seems a huge potential to waste a lot of draft capital which could have been used in earlier rounds. 

I'd not like to guess but we surely have picked up the phone to the cards to see if they'd be amenable to flipping a couple of picks for Budda Baker

I don't see anything wrong with making all 10 picks.  Think how many undrafted free agents we bring in every year, how much effort we put into that, and how often one or more of them makes the team.  It's a lot easier to just pick them instead of competing with other teams for them.
(04-29-2023, 08:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2023, 08:03 AM)cat bells Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just fascinated to find out what they are going to do with 10 picks...

I don't see anything wrong with making all 10 picks.  Think how many undrafted free agents we bring in every year, how much effort we put into that, and how often one or more of them makes the team.  It's a lot easier to just pick them instead of competing with other teams for them.
Then most of those picks won't even make the roster, they will be wasted picks

100%
Let's just take Vorhees today
Trent Baalke it is time to step up! You have never really had a successful pick in round four or later as a GM…ever.

It’s time for this to change!!
Like I said last week, this draft is incredibly weak with talent. Not a lot of high end talent here.

Apparently Strange is a pretty well received pick and I wasn’t really aware of him before yesterday.

They were trying to jump back up into round 3 last night so maybe they make a move to the top of round 4 for Ringo, Phillips or someone.

I’m all good. The Jags have Trevor, Doug Pederson, lots of offensive weapons and they play in a weak division. Let’s ride
There is still a lot of great players available, it really just depends on if Baalke knows what he's doing here.

(04-29-2023, 08:26 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]Trent Baalke it is time to step up! You have never really had a successful pick in round four or later as a GM…ever.

It’s time for this to change!!

This
I would have to consider Colby Wooden here around the top of the 4th round if the Jags trade up.

Taken in isolation i certainly don't disagree with you, I've read a few articles down the years with one or two former gm's advocating the 'throw as many darts as you can' method of drafting ... And in a strong draft I'd agree and say it was a steady strategy...

But with regard to this particular situation i would find that approach slightly incongrous. If you have a draft grade on 127 players surely 'slinging as many darts as you can at those specific 127 players' would make more sense than stockpiling picks for players outside of that range whom we were obviously not as convinced could make a difference before the draft! 

As I say I'm relatively relaxed about it.. Im just very interested to see how it pans out, and to see what the plan is. For all we know Baalke could start auctioning those picks for selections next year or the year after if he doesn't see any value, I wouldn't be upset with that approach either.
There’s still a few available I’d like us to target,

Ringo
Clark Phillips
Adebawore

I don’t know much about many others, so there might be better choices
I haven't followed the draft nearly as much as this year so I don't recognize a ton of the players remaining. But there are a few that do stand out.

Offensive line - Vorhees and Freeland. Had heard both of their names as potential guys going earlier in the draft. When I first started casually looking at mock drafts after the season, I kept seeing Vorhees name as a potential 2nd rounder. One of the appeals to him was his versatility. Freeland seems to fit all the measurables. And great production. Would love to grab another offensive lineman. Mentioned in another thread we will likely be in the market for olineman once again next offseason so if we can find solid players in the mid round now with all these excess draft picks, would love to fill those spots

TE - Kutz. Doesn't seem realistic at this point since we took a guy in the 2nd. But I was intrigued by his size. Not sure how far he'll fall but may be worth taking a flyer on him at some point.

pass rusher - dont recognize essentially any of the remaining players but this is in my mind the biggest need we have. I do know of Nick Herbig who put up a ton of sacks last year. First team all big10. Has real size limitations and probably can only be a an outside rusher on passing situations. But we're likely not going to find a fulltime starter on the defensive line here in the 4th or 5th round. A role specific guy that gets 15-20 snaps a game and excels at one thing is your most likely best case when drafting mid rounds like this. So if they took a flyer on him I'd be fine with that. Dont particularly care who, I just hope we get someone that has a history of being able to sack the QB. We can try to cover up their weaknesses as much as possible.
Will Mallory or Zack Kuntz would be nice additions to the TE room. Kuntz is basically that long striding receiving option everybody wanted in Washington.

AT Perry, Xavier Hutchinson and Kayshoun Boutte are there at WR if we absolutely want one for whatever reason.

Bradford, Zavala, Broeker and Vorhees at OG. Jones, Warren, McClendon and Kirkland at OT.

Adebawore, Brooks, Lacy and McGuire at DE. Matlock, Roy, Wooden, Clark and Coburn at DT. Herbig and Abdullah as tweener rushers at OLB.

Plenty of CB and S options left that can fill the nickel role and challenge Herndon as well.

RD4 is where Baalke earns his stripes today. I mean that. These have to be guys that can not only rotate early as rooks but develop into full timers starting in 2024.

They did their homework. A lot of these names above were slotted to go in RD1, RD2 and RD3 by the mock community and here they are in RD4 still with four picks at their disposal to land them.

Looks like they know what the [BLEEP] they're doing and some of you need to relax.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Today is where the draft can be won. We need to win day 3 at the very least with all our picks. Can Baalke do it?
We own day 3 of the draft. We have 10 picks! The networks are happy too, as they will make ton of revenue on the commercials alone when we pick. Everyone is happy !
There is a ton of talent left imo.
(04-29-2023, 08:10 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2023, 08:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see anything wrong with making all 10 picks.  Think how many undrafted free agents we bring in every year, how much effort we put into that, and how often one or more of them makes the team.  It's a lot easier to just pick them instead of competing with other teams for them.
Then most of those picks won't even make the roster, they will be wasted picks

Agreed

They need to package those 6ths and get back into the fourth IMO
Nobody wanted to do Balkie any favors and let him trade back in last night. Hopefully he finds a trade partner today.
(04-29-2023, 08:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said last week, this draft is incredibly weak with talent. Not a lot of high end talent here.

Apparently Strange is a pretty well received pick and I wasn’t really aware of him before yesterday.

They were trying to jump back up into round 3 last night so maybe they make a move to the top of round 4 for Ringo, Phillips or someone.

I’m all good. The Jags have Trevor, Doug Pederson, lots of offensive weapons and they play in a weak division. Let’s ride

Value may be debatable but that aside, Harrison and Strange are decent picks. After that...well, we'll see.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30