Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Not sure whether to laugh or be concerned...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Apparently, some kids at Emory University were "scared" and "in pain" over some chalk markings on their campus that said "Trump 2016" and "Build The Wall".  I even saw one report that said that "emergency counseling" was being brought in for those students that were "traumatized".  Some say that they don't feel safe.  Really?

Some of the students are arguing that the writings were not in fact free speech or part of a campaign.  Instead they should be classified as "hate speech".

AP News Story

CBS News Story

Washington Post <-- this one is pretty good.

What is scary enough is the fact that these kids are allowed to vote.  What is even more scary is that these little cupcakes are the future of our country.  

They're trained totalitarians.  Don't like something somebody SAID?  Go to the AUTHORITIES and have them silenced.

Quote:They're trained totalitarians.  Don't like something somebody SAID?  Go to the AUTHORITIES and have them silenced.

I would say that they are the product of a liberal education system.  Don't like the message?  Just say that you are "offended" or "don't feel safe" in order to shut said message down.

I don't like Donald Trump, but come on, let's get real.  If someone supports him, I'll listen to what they have to say, even if I disagree with them.  The same goes for a Bernie Sanders supporter, Hillary Clinton supporters or any other candidate's supporters.  Free speech is about being able to express opposing points of view.

If these little snowflakes are "offended" or "don't feel safe" about a campaign slogan, I can't wait to see how they react when they actually get out into the real world.
Quote:I would say that they are the product of a liberal education system.  Don't like the message?  Just say that you are "offended" or "don't feel safe" in order to shut said message down.

I don't like Donald Trump, but come on, let's get real.  If someone supports him, I'll listen to what they have to say, even if I disagree with them.  The same goes for a Bernie Sanders supporter, Hillary Clinton supporters or any other candidate's supporters.  Free speech is about being able to express opposing points of view.

If these little snowflakes are "offended" or "don't feel safe" about a campaign slogan, I can't wait to see how they react when they actually get out into the real world.

The idiots who are ACTUALLY offended are probably just being weak.  However, there is a design to this.  100% it's an attack on the second amendment.  They won't stop until free speech doesn't exist anymore.  At that point totalitarians really can silence any opposition.
Quote:Apparently, some kids at Emory University were "scared" and "in pain" over some chalk markings on their campus that said "Trump 2016" and "Build The Wall".  I even saw one report that said that "emergency counseling" was being brought in for those students that were "traumatized".  Some say that they don't feel safe.  Really?

Some of the students are arguing that the writings were not in fact free speech or part of a campaign.  Instead they should be classified as "hate speech".

AP News Story

CBS News Story

Washington Post <-- this one is pretty good.

What is scary enough is the fact that these kids are allowed to vote.  What is even more scary is that these little cupcakes are the future of our country.  

When it comes to college students, I counsel laughter.

I'd be interested in knowing details about Jonathan Peraza's claim of death threats.
There's one part of their complaints that I think is legitimate: "Build the wall"

This happened in Atlanta. Let's be honest: that city is not exactly a beacon of race relations. Latino students perceiving "build the wall" as a targeted, racist statement is completely understandable in my book. It's essentially the same thing as writing "bring back Jim Crow" all over FAMU's campus would be.

People claiming that the word "Trump" is offensive or painful...yeah. Grow a pair. Cupcake.

Quote:There's one part of their complaints that I think is legitimate: "Build the wall"

This happened in Atlanta. Let's be honest: that city is not exactly a beacon of race relations. Latino students perceiving "build the wall" as a targeted, racist statement is completely understandable in my book. It's essentially the same thing as writing "bring back Jim Crow" all over FAMU's campus would be.

People claiming that the word "Trump" is offensive or painful...yeah. Grow a pair. Cupcake.

Seriously?

If the words "build the wall" offend someone that badly...I'd argue they are a part of the problem more than the words.

These kids need to grow a set and get over it.
Quote:There's one part of their complaints that I think is legitimate: "Build the wall"

Oh give me a freakin' break.  I am Latino myself and don't perceive the "build the wall" rhetoric as "hateful" or "racist" in the least bit.  There is no way (in your words) that it is a "targeted racial statement".

I have actually lived around and dealt with illegal aliens throughout my life, especially in my earlier years.  I can remember as a young deputy sheriff in New Mexico arresting illegals and telling them that they were going to be deported.  Their response?  "I'll be back on the next train headed north before you finish your report".  The really sad part is, it was basically true.

You're not going to tell me that Hispanic citizens are going to be "offended" or "feel unsafe" with a "build the wall" sign.  Quite frankly, many of us would say "good" or "it's about time", especially those that live in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

The bottom line is, their "complaints" are nothing more than spoiled kids who have been sheltered and got "participation trophies" all of their lives.  They have never had to experience adversity or a real challenge.  They also have probably never experienced failure, which is something that needs to be taught to them.
Quote:Seriously?

If the words "build the wall" offend someone that badly...I'd argue they are a part of the problem more than the words.

These kids need to grow a set and get over it.
Eh, I guess we see it different ways. I wouldn't start a federal case over it, but if I were Hispanic and I looked out my dorm room window in the morning to see "build the wall" written on the pavement below, I'd be understandably surprised and a bit dismayed.
Quote:Eh, I guess we see it different ways. I wouldn't start a federal case over it, but if I were Hispanic and I looked out my dorm room window in the morning to see "build the wall" written on the pavement below, I'd be understandably surprised and a bit dismayed.

If you're here legally, Hispanic or not, would those words pertain to you?
Quote:The bottom line is, their "complaints" are nothing more than spoiled kids who have been sheltered and got "participation trophies" all of their lives.  They have never had to experience adversity or a real challenge.  They also have probably never experienced failure, which is something that needs to be taught to them.
What the hell is it with you? You're not even 50 yet, as I recall. You're part of Gen X--not too far removed from the millennials you so detest. Guess what, Grandpa: if millennials are soft, weak, pathetic little squishy balls of dough, the failure to raise them properly rests with you guys. You're the idiots who gave them participation trophies and shielded them from failure. Why don't you man up and admit it: millennials suck because Gen X is full of terrible parents.
Quote:Eh, I guess we see it different ways. I wouldn't start a federal case over it, but if I were Hispanic and I looked out my dorm room window in the morning to see "build the wall" written on the pavement below, I'd be understandably surprised and a bit dismayed.

Yet if I was Hispanic (which I am) and looked out of my dorm window in the morning and saw that, I would say "yes".
Quote:Yet if I was Hispanic (which I am) and looked out of my dorm window in the morning and saw that, I would say "yes".
I think we've established time and time again that your views are not representative of the Hispanic community as a whole.
Quote:What the hell is it with you? You're not even 50 yet, as I recall. You're part of Gen X--not too far removed from the millennials you so detest. Guess what, Grandpa: if millennials are soft, weak, pathetic little squishy balls of dough, the failure to raise them properly rests with you guys. You're the idiots who gave them participation trophies and shielded them from failure. Why don't you man up and admit it: millennials suck because Gen X is full of terrible parents.

Actually for the record, I am 50+ right now (although I don't see how that matters).  Guess what?  My children don't really think like you or these college kids.  My grandchild is being raised properly in that if he loses, he loses.  And guess what?  If he loses whether it's a game or otherwise, he doesn't cry and blame others.   Also, every one of my children are conservative and don't buy into the whole "offensive" hype.

Hispanic students being "afraid" or "offended" by a "build the wall" writing in chalk on a college campus?  Give me a break.
Quote:Actually for the record, I am 50+ right now (although I don't see how that matters).  Guess what?  My children don't really think like you or these college kids.  My grandchild is being raised properly in that if he loses, he loses.  And guess what?  If he loses whether it's a game or otherwise, he doesn't cry and blame others.   Also, every one of my children are conservative and don't buy into the whole "offensive" hype.

Hispanic students being "afraid" or "offended" by a "build the wall" writing in chalk on a college campus?  Give me a break.
You'll never see me lining up with libtards complaining about how everything should be free and life should be fair, but there's a gray area that you refuse to acknowledge. Maybe for you, the concept of being "offended" is a joke. Believe it or not, I'm pretty hard to really tick off these days, as we've discussed before. But I completely recognize that emotions are gonna do what emotions do. This is just the first generation that hasn't set out with an overwhelming mentality that emotions are bad, and it's hard for plenty of people to accept. Rejecting entire points of view simply because your own feelings aren't hurt doesn't diminish the feelings of others. If it's stupid, like "Trump" markings offending people, then they need to be told that sometimes in life, you've just gotta let it go. But a racially-charged message--and yes, a hostile message that is targeted specifically at people of a certain nationality is racially charged, is worth discussing.

I gotta tell you, you are impossible to read. Your comments consistently fall in line what what the dying shell of the GOP would say, your methods of marginalizing and demeaning those you disagree with puts you on par with Trump supporters (and a well-known red name here) at times,  and your insistence that "logic" drives you rather than blind party affiliation occasionally boggles my mind. If you see an article about millennials doing something stupid, do what I do every time I see a Trump supporter quoted on, well, anything: laugh and remind yourself of how much better you are than that.

Lol a "hostile message"....

I disagree. Many countries have walls. If those Latinos are here legally than the wall reference is not to them. The wall is for keeping illegals out. So we are saying people should be offended when others think the law should mean something? This is one argument I can't understand from Democrat side.
The libtards reference is part of the issue in politics. Stick to your argument and it's okay for someone to disagre with you. It does not make them [BLEEP] because they view things differently. People wonder why we are so split? The rhetoric on both sides is nauseating.
This is the thing. Its mostly white people being offended and calling it racist because "if I was ____, I would feel threatened". Everybody who doesn't fall in line must be racist.

Well you aren't that race. Stop being offended on behalf of others. Stop trying to control everything.
Quote:The idiots who are ACTUALLY offended are probably just being weak.  However, there is a design to this.  100% it's an attack on the second amendment.  They won't stop until free speech doesn't exist anymore.  At that point totalitarians really can silence any opposition.

It's an attack on the 2nd Amendment?  Does someone need a refresher on the Bill of Rights?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8