Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How good is Blake Bortles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This is a Kool-Aid poll, do you want another glass of the teal refreshing drink or are you starting to feel sick & questioning your choices in life?

This poll is solely based on your thoughts about Blake Bortles and not the GM, or HC.

Do you think if Blake Bortles was traded to the Patriots after Brady was injured that he would be near as good as him (meaning do you think its solely the talent surrounding him including the coaching)?

Or do you think that he simply is a very young QB only at the start of his 2nd year and still needs time to learn and develop (screw ration I want wins now! winning now! now now now! WIN, NOW!)

Do you think its the WRs, Oline, RB, or all of the above and Blake is simply taking the blame for the others?

Or do you think that Blake Bortles is another Blaine Gabbert as many had suggested in other threads?

Part of the reason I post this thread is that I am bored and its 11pm & the Packers are killing the chiefs in the MNF game....

The other part is I think the Offense has been bad in the two loses mainly because of Bortles poor performance.  I do think he has potential to be a great QB (as he has shown in both PreSeasons, but he seems to lose confidence in himself when the regular season starts).

Can he get it together against the Colts or is it time to just let Chad Henne finish the season and think of drafting another QB this year?

I guess I am a homer I picked average, yes as a backup, and yes but not in time for playoffs...

I am amazed at how much blame he is getting for that game. He seriously has to do everything on offense.

He threw a pick before half. It happens. The pats marched right down the field and scored.

The d gave up 35 first downs. If people thought he was going to go toe to toe with Brady in his 16th career start you were setting yourselves up for failure.
He is known to be a good runner so why cant Blake throw it up, run down the field and catch it?  Is that too much to ask?

Why cant Blake be the leading blocker on all run plays?

Sick

Quote:He is known to be a good runner so why cant Blake throw it up, run down the field and catch it? Is that too much to ask?

Why cant Blake be the leading blocker on all run plays?

Sick

Put him on D also.
He sucks pretty bad. He can't read defenses, he under throws receivers, overthrows receivers, has no touch, his mechanics are  a mess and it's looking like he is just not a natural passer, and then to exacerbate all that he makes bad decisions with the football even when he does read the defense right. And he lets his mistakes get to him. He's no Gabbert but he's still not a good QB and his number are approaching typical first round bust QB numbers.

But since we're the Jaguars, we will win enough games to keep us from being able to draft Jared Goff and we will waste the top 5 or whatever pick we do get by taking the player with either clearly the most risk or the player that is so safe they have no upside. Or we do something like pass on Jalen Ramsey or Nkemdiche for one of the offensive tackles and they turn out to struggle mightily like most high drafted tackles now.

All I know is that if we end up firing the coaching staff and Blake has to learn a 3rd offense in 3 years, he's going to be pretty much ruined. Has there ever been a successful QB who had to learn mutiple offenses at this early of a stage in their careers? If we fire the coaching staff we need to look for a new QB in the draft.
Quote:Put him on D also.

He said he wanted to be a LB, so put him at OTTO (money where his mouth is)!

Seriously does QB Blake even care about winning?  Why cant he kick & Punt too Joe Theisman did it!
Quote:He sucks pretty bad. He can't read defenses, he under throws receivers, overthrows receivers, has no touch, his mechanics are  a mess and it's looking like he is just not a natural passer, and then to exacerbate all that he makes bad decisions with the football even when he does read the defense right. And he lets his mistakes get to him. He's no Gabbert but he's still not a good QB and his number are approaching typical first round bust QB numbers.

But since we're the Jaguars, we will win enough games to keep us from being able to draft Jared Goff and we will waste the top 5 or whatever pick we do get by taking the player with either clearly the most risk or the player that is so safe they have no upside. Or we do something like pass on Jalen Ramsey or Nkemdiche for one of the offensive tackles and they turn out to struggle mightily like most high drafted tackles now.

Do you ever get the feeling that the NFL is rigged like Wrestling, and most all of the NFL is in on it but the fans?

Why didnt they draft Leonard Williams knowing that Marks wouldnt be cleared to play at the start of the season & knowing that he can play any where on the line?

Gus probably wouldve had him tear an ACL too though.
Quote:I am amazed at how much blame he is getting for that game. He seriously has to do everything on offense.

He threw a pick before half. It happens. The pats marched right down the field and scored.

The d gave up 35 first downs. If people thought he was going to go toe to toe with Brady in his 16th career start you were setting yourselves up for failure.
with blake it happens every game. It's unacceptable at this point. He's 16 starts into his career he should be over these mistakes. He doesn't take care of the football and in general is just not a good quarterback.
Honestly I would rather then sign and start Tim Tebow than to watch the rest of the season with Chad Henne ....

as bad as Blake is at times he at least gets first downs ... Chad would be 123 punt, 123 punt, 123 punt, 123 punt.

sigh.

Quote:with blake it happens every game. It's unacceptable at this point. He's 16 starts into his career he should be over these mistakes. He doesn't take care of the football and in general is just not a good quarterback.

He shouldnt throw any picks? He hasnt played lights out in any sense but picks are gonna happen. If this team cant handle a little adversity like one damn pick then we are screwed. He hit corey grant dead in his palms on one early drive for a td and it waz dropped. Eventually someone has to step up and help the dude.
Quote:All I know is that if we end up firing the coaching staff and Blake has to learn a 3rd offense in 3 years, he's going to be pretty much ruined. Has there ever been a successful QB who had to learn mutiple offenses at this early of a stage in their careers? If we fire the coaching staff we need to look for a new QB in the draft.
This is what really sucks. We can't afford to do this to Bortles, but I honestly don't see this coaching staff winning us a Super-Bowl. 
I have to agree with you Sosa, because you get the feeling after certain games like the one against the Patriots that Gus simply got out coached (at least Rex admitted it), and Rex at least came close.

Can you tell me of a game in the last three years that after half time you felt Gus Bradley coached them up / hyped them up and they dominated in the 2nd half against any team?

Quote:He shouldnt throw any picks? He hasnt played lights out in any sense but picks are gonna happen. If this team cant handle a little adversity like one damn pick then we are screwed. He hit corey grant dead in his palms on one early drive for a td and it waz dropped. Eventually someone has to step up and help the dude.

It does seem like the Jaguars have more drops than any other team in the last two years.  Is that due in any part in the way that Blake throws the ball or is it all the (young) receivers fault?
[quote name="DewIT" post="560731" timestamp="1443499386"]

It does seem like the Jaguars have more drops than any other team in the last two years. Is that due in any part in the way that Blake throws the ball or is it all the (young) receivers fault?[/quote

If the wrs can only catch perfect spirals they are a bunch of [BLEEP]. ]
The glaring question is will TE Julius Thomas return (this week maybe) change all of that?

Quote:He shouldnt throw any picks? He hasnt played lights out in any sense but picks are gonna happen. If this team cant handle a little adversity like one damn pick then we are screwed. He hit corey grant dead in his palms on one early drive for a td and it waz dropped. Eventually someone has to step up and help the dude.
It's not about him throwing picks, it's the types of picks he's throwing and when they happen. They are horrible, rookie INTs that we should not be seeing at this point. Even Mariota doesn't throw the type of duck picks that Bortles throws. Look at Derek Carr. The only type of picks Bortles should be throwing at this point should be 50/50 balls and the occasional pass over the middle where he doesn't see the defender. But Bortles regularly doesn't see guys and has multiple terrible picks dropped every game. It's ridiculous now. A good QB does not look how Bortles looks. Regardless of the receivers dropping balls, Bortles himself DOES NOT look like starting NFL QB material. He looks like Ryan Mallett. Christian Ponder. Matt Cassell. EJ Manuel. QBs who do not have the mental capacity to play the position at a high level and just do not look natural and comfortable at the positon.
So is Andrew Luck in the same boat as Bortles? He throws a dumb [BLEEP] pick every game.

And 7 total on the yr.
I think you get a real HC that brings in a real good coaching staff and alot of our problems get fixed.

I think when you pick bottom of the barrel coaches at discount dumpster prices you kinda get what you pay for...  

With that said, BB5 is not the issue here.  I thought he played OK yesterday.  He made a couple mistakes, but he also made some pretty darn good plays as well.  That TD pass to Grant that went right through his hands was a thing of beauty.  

I think he still trying to hard and the game is still moving to fast for him.  If the game slows down for him over the next few weeks, we'll be in good shape.  If we could figure out a good game plan on how to exploit the clot D, we should still win this next game.  We should be expecting a win.  This is what it's all about in year 3 of a rebuild.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9