Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Should the confederate flag continued to be honored?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
In light of recent events, the confederate flag has come under massive scrutiny. Stories such as these have came out:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/us/...?referrer=

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/c...-carolina/

And it seems everyone has an opinion on it. Even from the most unlikely sources:

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/failed-re...ered-honor

Is it something that should be remembered or has it run its course and its time to be put away for good? What does the confederate flag mean to you?
A few years back, during the Bradley Manning mess, I was constantly amazed by how many commenters on news articles and Facebook pages screaming to hang him from the highest tree had a Confederate flag visible in their profile image. With a picture like that, you'd think they'd be cool with supporting traitors.

take away this right and which one is next  ?
As a Son of Confederate Veteran, I'll Fly my 3rd National Flag until the day I die

Quote:take away this right and which one is next  ?

What right is being taken away?
It's hanging over a confederate memorial, what are they going to remove that too? Are we going to dig up confederate graves next? Let the flag fly where it is, they already took it off the Capitol dome. The flag represents over 200,000 dead Americans who fought and died for their home states, most of them did not own slaves. And thousands more Americans who sacrificed everything from farms to homeland in countless ruined communities all for their families, native states, and what they thought to be a just cause. These are people whiteout whose ancestry and without the contribution of their states in the revolution, Virginia, South Carolina... There would be no United States... Yes that's right, if it wasn't for slave states and slaveholders like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson our country would not be where it is today. Should we blot their names out of history too because they were associated with slavery? Or maybe they deserve to have an asterisk by their name since they cheated somehow?

And to be honest the Stars and Stripes has more history of slavery than does the confederate cross.. The institution was protected and legalized under the Stars and Stripes for many years, and when slaves were brought to this country it wasn't the confederate flag that they were dreading to see. Maybe people will want to redesign the american flag next since some people think it once flew over a slave nation and is offensive to others?

So stupid, leave it where it is. People just feel like they need something to blame. And most people clamoring to take it down don't care at all about history, and know nothing about it. They threaten our history and ancestry by removing symbols from our past. Every state, north and south should have a memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fought and died under their banners during the civil war. And the flags they fought under should fly over the memorials. Under no time period in history have Americans, north and south, black, white, and foreign, sacrificed so much.
People have a right to do whatever they want with the Confederate flag.   That said, I personally think it represents white supremacy and defense of slavery.   So in answer to the question, no, I don't think that flag should be "honored."  

the right to fly the flag of your choice, del rio

Quote:the right to fly the flag of your choice, del rio

Ok, who is trying to take that right away?

Because I see Wal Mart acting on their own by stopping sales of items showing the Confederate flag.

And the governor of a state suggesting the state legislature remove the Confederate flag that flies on the Capitol grounds.

Nowhere do I see anyone taking your right away to display the Confederate flag.
Quote:the right to fly the flag of your choice, del rio

In Atlantic beach, they wouldn't let that Greek restauarant have a Greece flag.

Walmart says they won't sell anything with it anymore.

Represents treason to me more than anything.
It should be remembered for fighting until the bitter end for slavery. So yes, it will be remembered. 

The right for people to make a fool out of themselves by flying it should stay of course. 

Quote:take away this right and which one is next ?

No one is taking away your personal right to speech. It's the government entities who display is who are considering removal
personally , I don't honor the confederate flag because my family migrated to the US years after the fact. but I worked with some people  from Alabama that got pulled over by the police in downtown Portland Oregon and had their flag confiscated off their truck.
The more it becomes an issue, the more divisive it gets. Some look at it as southern heritage , some as racist.

Yet no one argues the fact swastikas fly..on some biker vests, rally's, etc.

Both black, white, Asian, etc. people died fighting that symbol. It's illegal in Germany, yet here it's a " freedom"

I know...no one flys it openly, but it's still here....and so will the Stars and Bars. Just not over Capitol buildings.

I suppose flying the black ISIS flag is another " freedom" we have.

It's a flag. Get over it. If someone flies it, it's their way of expressing proud heritage and in some cases representing their dislikes, or even hates. At least they identify themselves.
It's a flag.  Nothing more.  It's offensive to some.  To others it's a symbol of pride.  At the end of the day, it's still just a flag.  It's not motivating anyone to do anything.  Fly it.  Don't fly it.  Burn it.  Don't burn it. It's still just a flag regardless of the symbolism. 

People look for any possible way to be offended, and for the stars and bars, or the Nazi flag, it's easy to find things to be offended about.  But, last time I checked, there's nothing in the Constitution that says you have a right to NOT be offended.  If someone, including a state, wants to fly that flag over a confederate memorial, that's certainly their right.  That war was a national tragedy where that flag was defeated. 

People died to defend and to defeat that flag.  It has a deeply rooted place in American history regardless of how it offends people, or what motivates others to display it. 

I've grown up around that flag and I'm not a pure white, the people that I know that fly that flag are not white supremacist. What I've known it to represent was a point in time where one group stood up to an over bearing federal government. We can argue who was right or who was wrong all day but one group said enough were evoking our right to opt out. They fought the most tyrannical president this nation has ever seen. Even in defeat there is much to learn about that group who fought back.
Quote:take away this right and which one is next  ?
What right is being taken away? You could till fly a confederate flag on your own property if you wanted to.
Quote:It's hanging over a confederate memorial, what are they going to remove that too? Are we going to dig up confederate graves next? Let the flag fly where it is, they already took it off the Capitol dome. The flag represents over 200,000 dead Americans who fought and died for their home states, most of them did not own slaves. And thousands more Americans who sacrificed everything from farms to homeland in countless ruined communities all for their families, native states, and what they thought to be a just cause. These are people whiteout whose ancestry and without the contribution of their states in the revolution, Virginia, South Carolina... There would be no United States... Yes that's right, if it wasn't for slave states and slaveholders like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson our country would not be where it is today. Should we blot their names out of history too because they were associated with slavery? Or maybe they deserve to have an asterisk by their name since they cheated somehow?

And to be honest the Stars and Stripes has more history of slavery than does the confederate cross.. The institution was protected and legalized under the Stars and Stripes for many years, and when slaves were brought to this country it wasn't the confederate flag that they were dreading to see. Maybe people will want to redesign the american flag next since some people think it once flew over a slave nation and is offensive to others?

So stupid, leave it where it is. People just feel like they need something to blame. And most people clamoring to take it down don't care at all about history, and know nothing about it. They threaten our history and ancestry by removing symbols from our past. Every state, north and south should have a memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fought and died under their banners during the civil war. And the flags they fought under should fly over the memorials. Under no time period in history have Americans, north and south, black, white, and foreign, sacrificed so much.
In my opinion, it is part of history now. It belongs in a museum. 
Quote:In my opinion, it is part of history now. It belongs in a museum. 
Or over monuments dedicated to the war. 

People have attached one meaning to the flag, but there was much more to it than just slavery.  Unfortunately, in the world of political correctness, we're only allowed to fixate on those things that are most offensive. 
Quote:Or over monuments dedicated to the war.

People have attached one meaning to the flag, but there was much more to it than just slavery. Unfortunately, in the world of political correctness, we're only allowed to fixate on those things that are most offensive.

Northern salve states throughout the civil war kind of destroys the whole argument.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27