Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Carolyn Bryant Donham admits to lying about Emmit Till flirting with her.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
It's not to late to thrown her in Jail and let her rot. Evil scumbag.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us...onham.html
<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;">The men who killed Till were evil. She doesn't seem to have been a willing participant and was, herself, brutalized by one of the malevolent killers. That doesn't detract from the depravity of the crime, but certainly provides some perspective. 

<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;"> 

<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">"Ms. Donham told him that soon after the killing, her husband’s family hid her away, moving her from place to place for days, to keep her from talking to law enforcement.

<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;"> 

<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">She has said that Roy Bryant, whom she later divorced, was physically abusive to her.

<p class="" style="margin-left:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">“The circumstances under which she told the story were coercive,” Dr. Tyson said. “She’s horrified by it. There’s clearly a great burden of guilt and sorrow."

I'm sure she's still getting into white heaven.

Quote:<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">The men who killed Till were evil. She doesn't seem to have been a willing participant and was, herself, brutalized by one of the malevolent killers. That doesn't detract from the depravity of the crime, but certainly provides some perspective.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"Ms. Donham told him that soon after the killing, her husband’s family hid her away, moving her from place to place for days, to keep her from talking to law enforcement.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">She has said that Roy Bryant, whom she later divorced, was physically abusive to her.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">“The circumstances under which she told the story were coercive,” Dr. Tyson said. “She’s horrified by it. There’s clearly a great burden of guilt and sorrow."

If she testified, she was willing. Someone was brutally murdered because of her false claims. The humane thing to do would have been to get the truth out there immediately even if it meant her own life. It's funny the things we need perspective on
Quote:It's not to late to thrown her in Jail and let her rot. Evil scumbag.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us...onham.html

She's an 82 year old woman and it happened at a way different time in HISTORY.  Perhaps you should take a cue from Mr. Parker, Emmit's cousin.

Quote: 

For his part, Mr. Parker, a pastor, said he harbors no ill will toward Ms. Donham, and hopes that her admission brings her peace.

“I can’t hate,” he said. “Hate destroys the hater, too. That’s a heavy burden to carry.”

Quote:She's an 82 year old woman and it happened at a way different time in HISTORY. Perhaps you should take a cue from Mr. Parker, Emmit's cousin.

Should you take a cue from another relative who doesn't feel justice has been served?
Quote:Should you take a cue from another relative who doesn't feel justice has been served?

Which relative would that be?

Quote:Which relative would that be?

It could be any of them, unless you're saying you believe they all share in Mr. Parker's forgiveness.
Quote:It could be any of them, unless you're saying you believe they all share in Mr. Parker's forgiveness.

Well since we only know the feelings of one relative, it's hard to take a cue from another.

Is Mr. Parker wrong?  I noticed that you left that part out.

Quote:Well since we only know the feelings of one relative, it's hard to take a cue from another.

Is Mr. Parker wrong? I noticed that you left that part out.

Families rarely agree on everything and in the case of a family member being murdered you undoubtedly will have some who will be open to forgiveness but not all. I left nothing out, you pointed out another poster should take cues from the cousin who chose forgiveness, I gave you the other side of the coin.
Quote:Families rarely agree on everything and in the case of a family member being murdered you undoubtedly will have some who will be open to forgiveness but not all. I left nothing out, you pointed out another poster should take cues from the cousin who chose forgiveness, I gave you the other side of the coin.

The thing is, I quoted the one family member in the original story and you chose to leave that quote out in your comment.

Which is the better cue to take?  The one for forgiveness or the OP who has an agenda?

Should an 82 year old woman be charged and go to prison for something that happened in a totally different era?

The message that the family member communicates should be heard by a lot of people. "Hate destroys the hater, too. That’s a heavy burden to carry.”  Think about that and answer the question directly above this paragraph.
Quote:If she testified, she was willing. Someone was brutally murdered because of her false claims. The humane thing to do would have been to get the truth out there immediately even if it meant her own life. It's funny the things we need perspective on

Something happened in the store which caused her to mention it to her husband. Whether it was a whistle or an innocent look, whatever she told him caused him to react in a murderous way. She says she no longer remembers what happened, but it wasn't what she testified to during the trial. Considering he was physically abusive to her it's most likely she said what she was told to say. It's easy for you to say in hindsight that possibly sacrificing her life was an acceptable risk, but I'm 100% sure she, or anyone else in that situation, would wholly disagree you.

In no way am I excusing her actions, but given the tradition of the times, racial violence and wife abuse were openly accepted in the South. Her husband was the true monster. Perspective matters.

Quote:The thing is, I quoted the one family member in the original story and you chose to leave that quote out in your comment.

Which is the better cue to take? The one for forgiveness or the OP who has an agenda?

Should an 82 year old woman be charged and go to prison for something that happened in a totally different era?

The message that the family member communicates should be heard by a lot of people. "Hate destroys the hater, too. That’s a heavy burden to carry.” Think about that and answer the question directly above this paragraph.

If you feel this strongly about forgiveness for someone who caused the heinous murder of a child, perhaps you should rethink your stance on Alfie and whoever the other poster was. You know...for consistency.

Quote:Something happened in the store which caused her to mention it to her husband. Whether it was a whistle or an innocent look, whatever she told him caused him to react in a murderous way. She says she no longer remembers what happened, but it wasn't what she testified to during the trial. Considering he was physically abusive to her it's most likely she said what she was told to say. It's easy for you to say in hindsight that possibly sacrificing her life was an acceptable risk, but I'm 100% sure she, or anyone else in that situation, would wholly disagree you.

In no way am I excusing her actions, but given the tradition of the times, racial violence and wife abuse were openly accepted in the South. Her husband was the true monster. Perspective matters.

Anyone who didn't do the right thing in this situation is a monster. Could've came out long before now with this admission, but she didn't.
Quote:Anyone who didn't do the right thing in this situation is a monster. Could've came out long before now with this admission, but she didn't.

She may have thought it wouldn't change anything, or she may have been in fear for her life. Only she can answer that.

Quote:She may have thought it wouldn't change anything, or she may have been in fear for her life. Only she can answer that.

She's 82, could've spoken up long before becoming an octogenarian. Humiliation and shame were what she was avoiding, pain I gather that is much lessto deal with in comparison to what Till felt.
Quote:She's 82, could've spoken up long before becoming an octogenarian. Humiliation and shame were what she was avoiding, pain I gather that is much lessto deal with in comparison to what Till felt.

You're probably right. To add to that she may be racist herself, just not to the murderous degree of her ex- husband.
Quote:She's an 82 year old woman and it happened at a way different time in HISTORY.  Perhaps you should take a cue from Mr. Parker, Emmit's cousin.

So I should forgive everything single white person who lynched, hung, killed, maimed, etc every black person from Slavery through the civil rights era up to now simply because of the color of our skin? 
Quote:The thing is, I quoted the one family member in the original story and you chose to leave that quote out in your comment.

Which is the better cue to take?  The one for forgiveness or the OP who has an agenda?

The message that the family member communicates should be heard by a lot of people. "Hate destroys the hater, too. That’s a heavy burden to carry.”  Think about that and answer the question directly above this paragraph.

What agenda do I have?

If we're all about justice, we need to be all about justice for everyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12