Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump’s Immigration Muslim Ban Excludes Countries With Business Ties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-...-interest/

President Trump is poised to sign an executive order that would suspend all entry to the U.S. from seven Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East, according to a draft proposal obtained by Bloomberg News. His proposed list doesn’t include Muslim-majority countries where his Trump Organization has done business or pursued potential deals. Properties include golf courses in the United Arab Emirates and two luxury towers operating in Turkey.
I doubt the Saudis are banned either.

Knew it.
Trump derangement syndrome
Well we all knew he was business friendly!
Quote:https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-...-interest/

President Trump is poised to sign an executive order that would suspend all entry to the U.S. from seven Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East, according to a draft proposal obtained by Bloomberg News. His proposed list doesn’t include Muslim-majority countries where his Trump Organization has done business or pursued potential deals. Properties include golf courses in the United Arab Emirates and two luxury towers operating in Turkey.

Well, to be fair, the exempted countries represent more than just Trump business projects.   I believe we have a major military base in the UAE.  Turkey is a Nato ally.   And Egypt is a very important country which has signed a peace deal with Israel.  

According to that map, he is suspending immigration from Libya, Sudan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Somalia.  I think banning immigration from those countries is a bad idea, just pandering to the fears of his constituents.  But it's not as bad as a total ban on Muslims, so I guess that's a step in the right direction.  
No reason to ban UAE. They are the most modernized Islamic nation in the middle-east. Egypt is our ally, so banning them wouldn't make much sense diplomaticly.

Saudi and Turkey, tho...

I guess since Turkey is part of NATO, but still. Turkey has terror attacks every other week.
Interesting that Saudia Arabia is not on his little banned list since he has business interests there and a dozen of the terrorist from 9/11 came from Saudi Arabia.
Turkey and Suadi are not radicalized...yet. They'll remain off the list until then.
Quote:No reason to ban UAE. They are the most modernized Islamic nation in the middle-east. Egypt is our ally, so banning them wouldn't make much sense diplomaticly.

Saudi and Turkey, tho...

I guess since Turkey is part of NATO, but still. Turkey has terror attacks every other week.
The same United Arab Emirates where a British woman was raped this year, she went to the police to report the rape and was arrested and imprisoned for for "extra-maritel sex". She's currently awaiting trial.

Happened a good few times over the past few years.
Quote:The same United Arab Emirates where a British woman was raped this year, she went to the police to report the rape and was arrested and imprisoned for for "extra-maritel sex". She's currently awaiting trial.

Happened a good few times over the past few years.
A friend taught over in the UAE for a summer. A cab driver tried to rape her. She was able to fight him off and run away. The local girls told her to keep her mouth shut or the cops would arrest her for trying to turn in the cabbie. The UAE is light years ahead of their ME peers but they are still pretty rotten on a whole.
Quote:Interesting that Saudia Arabia is not on his little banned list since he has business interests there and a dozen of the terrorist from 9/11 came from Saudi Arabia.
No U.S. president will turn their back on the Saudis until the black goo in the ground dries up over there. 
Quote:No U.S. president will turn their back on the Saudis until the black goo in the ground dries up over there. 

We actually import very little oil from OPEC countries. 

Edit: never mind.  Even though we import about 10% of the oil we use from OPEC, it does have a large effect on world markets. 

Saudis hate us, but it would not have mattered who got elected. Hillary and Trump (and W and pretty much every president for the past 50 years) will overlook gross human rights violations to keep that piece of our economy stable. The UK is in the same boat. Our incestuous relationship with them will continue so long as we have a dependency on oil.

Which is why I'm hoping scientists can create a car that runs on ignorance, as we have an abundance of that in 'Murica.
Until the US and other non-OPEC producing countries loosen export laws, OPEC will remain an influential piece. However, 5 of the top 10 oil producing countries are non-OPEC. It has been a cat and mouse over the years with some believing we should continue to stockpile our oil and drain the reserves of OPEC nations first. Saudi will be important for a while. 

Quote:Saudis hate us, but it would not have mattered who got elected. Hillary and Trump (and W and pretty much every president for the past 50 years) will overlook gross human rights violations to keep that piece of our economy stable. The UK is in the same boat. Our incestuous relationship with them will continue so long as we have a dependency on oil.

Which is why I'm hoping scientists can create a car that runs on ignorance, as we have an abundance of that in 'Murica.

^That was a terrific, sensible post, right up until the last part.
The bans should include UAE, Saudis, and Turkey since they sponsor terrorism.  Cant disagree there.  However, somebody like the OP is anti-ban.  So they should be happy about this.

Quote:Saudis hate us, but it would not have mattered who got elected. Hillary and Trump (and W and pretty much every president for the past 50 years) will overlook gross human rights violations to keep that piece of our economy stable. The UK is in the same boat. Our incestuous relationship with them will continue so long as we have a dependency on oil.

Vehicles can be created that run on all types of things.  There is simply a stranglehold on that market.
Quote:Vehicles can be created that run on all types of things. There is simply a stranglehold on that market.

Have you seen "Who killed the Electric Car?"

Lobbyists are doing everything they can to keep us dependent on foreign oil.
Quote:Vehicles can be created that run on all types of things.  There is simply a stranglehold on that market.
Agree here but also take into consideration you basically trade one evil for another. I know it was just one example of an option, but electric cars are not the model of efficiency and "green" that one would believe. Now if they could nail down a true green alternative...bring it! As you said though, the big money corps will fight every step of the way.
Quote:https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-...-interest/

Maybe because the list includes primarily countries that contain terrorists or are hostile towards Americans?

Here's a bit of a hint.  Though it may have changed but the countries on the list are countries where U.S. Navy ships don't visit.  I've personally been to Turkey, Egypt, and the U.A.E. as well as Bahrain (not included in any list).

The primary list is pretty good, but I would include with an asterisk Saudi Arabia.  I would ban "citizens" of the country but not necessarily the royalty from the country.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15