Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Same sex marriages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Let's talk about this one. I'm not quite sure but I think the percentage of people living in states where same sex marriage is legal is now above 50% and marriage equality is being confirmed by courts all the US.

Anyway; here's an overview of same sex marriage in every state is the US.

....wonderful. 

Glad it's finally legalized here.  One of my best friends has been wanting to marry her long-time partner, and hasn't been able to.  She was thinking about moving to New York, which would mean I probably wouldn't see her again.  I'm really happy for her.

The state has no right to dictate who consenting adults want to marry, there's literally no legal ground for it at all. Same goes for prostitution, polygamy, incest, and so on. If they're consenting adults it's not the governments concern.

That said I'm against legislation creating an anti-discrimination class for the LGBT community, like everything else the solution is to remove government as a road block not create more legislation.
Same sex marriage should be legal.
Just about every challenge to restrictions on  same sex marriage at the state level has been successful. It won't be long until it's the law of the land. One aspect that must infuriate opponents is now that DOMA has been overturned by the Supreme Court, U.S. citizens are allowed to petition for visas for their same sex spouses and fiancees who are citizens of other countries, even if the state in which they live does not sanction same sex marriages.

Quote:....wonderful. 

Just more escalation of the perversion that's ruining our country, right TMD?
Honestly, I don't care one bit on who marries whom, as long as I'm left alone, that's all I care about.
Quote:Just more escalation of the perversion that's ruining our country, right TMD?

TMD doesn't even understand his own beliefs.
Never understood why others care about who someone else marries.
This issue is kind of difficult to discuss while still following the Board COC.

For me personally, I view marriage as two things.  One is a legal issue, the other a union of faith.

Speaking solely from the legal standpoint, I have no problem with it.  Same sex couples should have the legal rights afforded to traditional heterosexual couples when they enter the legal contract (marriage).  As an example, they should be able to file taxes jointly, buy insurance as "self and spouse", apply for loans together, etc.

That being said, I do not feel that certain religions and/or churches should be forced to recognize the union as a "marriage".

Quote:This issue is kind of difficult to discuss while still following the Board COC.

For me personally, I view marriage as two things. One is a legal issue, the other a union of faith.

Speaking solely from the legal standpoint, I have no problem with it. Same sex couples should have the legal rights afforded to traditional heterosexual couples when they enter the legal contract (marriage). As an example, they should be able to file taxes jointly, buy insurance as "self and spouse", apply for loans together, etc.

That being said, I do not feel that certain religions and/or churches should be forced to recognize the union as a "marriage".

That's why the how this is addressed matters. Simply saying government has no authority to dictate what consenting adults do is very different from passing anti-discrimination laws against the LGBT community.
Quote:This issue is kind of difficult to discuss while still following the Board COC.

For me personally, I view marriage as two things. One is a legal issue, the other a union of faith.

Speaking solely from the legal standpoint, I have no problem with it. Same sex couples should have the legal rights afforded to traditional heterosexual couples when they enter the legal contract (marriage). As an example, they should be able to file taxes jointly, buy insurance as "self and spouse", apply for loans together, etc.

What does the church have to do with it? You can walk down to the courthouse and get married.
Quote:What does the church have to do with it? You can walk down to the courthouse and get married.

This is hard to stay within the COC but I'll try. Some people advocate a solution to the problem of same sex marriage by creating another anti-discrimination class for the LGBT community. It would make it illegal for private institutions including religious ones to deny access to their buildings and services based upon anti-discrimination laws. 

Removing road blocks for the LGBT community to do what the rest of the hetrosexual community does is one thing, and it needs to be done I think most agree on that. But creating another discrimination law takes one group and gives it the authority to impose it's will on a different group.

Like I said the "how" we address this problem is key. 
Quote:I wish there was more freedom with religion in the political section.

I'd like to take issue with the "bible thumper" crowd and religion but I'm afraid to try and skirt around it.

Bottom line when it it comes to adults and who they marry, they should be allowed to marry whatever gender they please. If you're a man and another man makes you happy, if you're a woman and another woman makes you happy, why should you not be allowed to marry that person? No man, woman, government or God should prevent you from doing that.

To be as simple as possible here:

If your God doesn't want you to be happy, your God sucks.

If you as a parent dont want your children to engage in damaging behaviors that make them happy them you suck as a parent? What an asinine statement.
Quote:I wish there was more freedom with religion in the political section.

I'd like to take issue with the "bible thumper" crowd and religion but I'm afraid to try and skirt around it.

Bottom line when it it comes to adults and who they marry, they should be allowed to marry whatever gender they please. If you're a man and another man makes you happy, if you're a woman and another woman makes you happy, why should you not be allowed to marry that person? No man, woman, government or God should prevent you from doing that.

To be as simple as possible here:

If your God doesn't want you to be happy, your God sucks.

We weren't put on this earth to "be happy". 

We were put on this earth to marry. pro-create and raise families. Can same sex marriages pro-create? Nope. The only way same sex marriages can pro-create is by going outside the marriage. 

Man has selfishly rearranged the rules to suit man. 

Am I going to "live and let live"? Yep. If you want to get married to a person of the same sex, go ahead. 

But me?....do I believe in "traditional marriage"? Yep. And those that do, theres nothing wrong with that. Despite what the agenda is trying to force. 
"It's what they do" ha!

I don't hate "bible thumpers" and to be honest I don't like the term. I used it because I saw it used.

I can't really even "defend" myself against all of you hyper-sensitive folks due to the rules here. I figured what I said would catch some grief, oh well.

Marrying the same gender should not be a sin as I've seen said countless times. Why I believe that can't be discussed here.

Eric I'm struggling quoting on my phone but where did I say anyone here say they shouldn't be able to marry?

Bottom line, if a man wants to marry a man they should be allowed to. If a woman wants to marry a woman they should be allowed to. It never should have been 'illegal' in any state and I'm happy to see that is changing.

Why should the state have a right to tell me what gender I can or cannot marry? They shouldn't and we're seeing that evolve.
Quote:If you as a parent dont want your children to engage in damaging behaviors that make them happy them you suck as a parent? What an asinine statement.

I was speaking, or intending to speak solely on gay marriage. Seeing as its a gay marriage thread. If I came across in another way, my mistake.

Parents should not have any say in what gender their children marry or fall in love with.
If two consenting adults want to get married, who cares.

Quote:Don't worry TMD, I'm sure one of these days, you won't have to move out of state to get married.

Lol now that's funny.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27