Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags want Henne to be more explosive minded per the FTU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

This has probably been talked about, if it has forgive me, the below is copy and pasted from rotoworld.

The Jaguars want Chad Henne to be "more explosive-minded" and "take chances" downfield as a passer.

Of Henne's 43 attempts in Week 1, only four traveled 16 yards or more in the air. He completed two of those passes for 80 yards, which accounted for 30.1 percent of Henne's passing yards against the Eagles. In other words, the Jags want Henne to be Blake Bortles. Bortles had a league-high 87.5 percent accuracy rate (6-of-8 for 220 yards and one TD with one drop) on passes of 20-plus yards in the preseason, according to PFF. Henne struggled with the easiest of throws in the second half last Sunday. The Bortles temptation will only get stronger.
Exactly --- to expand on the original post, I'd like to see Henne leave the pocket and pick up a few yards on his feet if the WRs are not open.  MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN !!!

The problem with the above is Chad Henne is an inaccurate passer, and is more inaccurate the futher he throws downfield, that could lead to some picks.

Lol!! Not gonna happen. They said the same thing about Gabbert. Henne sucks put the real QB in.
Quote:Exactly --- to expand on the original post, I'd like to see Henne leave the pocket and pick up a few yards on his feet if the WRs are not open.  MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN !!!

He's never done this, not at Michigan, Miami, and definitely not with the Jags. I'd like to see him buy more time with his feet, keep his eyes downfield, and deliver a strike to an open receiver, I don’t think it will happen however.

They want him to be Bortles?  There's a simple solution here.

Quote:Lol!! Not gonna happen. They said the same thing about Gabbert. Henne sucks put the real QB in.

If Henne doesn't do this, and continues to be conservative, does it pave the path to the Blake Bortles era?
Quote:They want him to be Bortles?  There's a simple solution here.

One would think.
Quote:Lol!! Not gonna happen. They said the same thing about Gabbert. Henne sucks put the real QB in.

Exactly what I was thinking.

People around here like to pretend Henne isn't just Gabbert with pocket numbness instead of pocket fear, but he's the same level of player.

They said the same thing last year with Gabbert, they just need to either put Bortles in or let Henne do what Henne is going to do.
Explosive-minded?  They're kidding, right?

You are what you are. Except for 2011, Henne has always been at the bottom of the league in yards per completion. His career average is 6.6. I highly doubt that is suddenly going to change. Henne played well on Sunday, but that is about the most you can expect from Henne in a game which is the problem.

The report is out of context.  I'm curious what was said.  In all reality, yes they would obviously like that to happen and they are going to have their criticisms of Henne.  Does the coaching staff expect Henne to take more chances and be explosive-minded?  I highly doubt it.  They are aware of his limitations.

Quote:You are what you are. Except for 2011, Henne has always been at the bottom of the league in yards per completion. His career average is 6.6. I highly doubt that is suddenly going to change. Henne played well on Sunday, but that is about the most you can expect from Henne in a game which is the problem.

Bingo, our coaches obviously know this, Chad Henne isn't going to become Kurt Warner in his 7th year. I could be wrong, but to me this paves the path to the Blake Bortles era sooner than later, Chad will fail miserably if he tries to push the ball downfield.
It was a play from Sunday that exemplifies how Henne does not have the instinct to do this. It was in the third quarter if I remember and a third down. They blitzed Henne and he rolled out of the pocket. When we rolled to the right, the defensive linemen got jammed up by our line so now Henne was basically by himself and had ample enough time to reset his eyes and make a strike or at least run to for some type of gain. Instead he throws the ball away. These are they plays if feel a previous poster talks about they the same MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

It seems they are trying to coach him up to think like a play maker instead of a manager. It is just not his game to do so. I support him as long as he is the qb and will hope for the best but I take true solace in knowing the real deal is waiting to be called up.    

Quote:It was a play from Sunday that exemplifies how Henne does not have the instinct to do this. It was in the third quarter if I remember and a third down. They blitzed Henne and he rolled out of the pocket. When we rolled to the right, the defensive linemen got jammed up by our line so now Henne was basically by himself and had ample enough time to reset his eyes and make a strike or at least run to for some type of gain. Instead he throws the ball away. These are they plays if feel a previous poster talks about they the same MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

It seems they are trying to coach him up to think like a play maker instead of a manager. It is just not his game to do so. I support him as long as he is the qb and will hope for the best but I take true solace in knowing the real deal is waiting to be called up.    

The problem is it takes a certain kind of person to actually maintain their concentration on the guys down the field in those situations, and it doesn't seem to be something people learn.

Either they're like Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and Blake Bortles and have the courage to keep their eyes and mind on what's going on down the field, or they're like Gabbert and Henne and a bunch of other guys that couldn't make it work who get distracted and lose the play as soon as something happens to interrupt their concentration.
Quote:It was a play from Sunday that exemplifies how Henne does not have the instinct to do this. It was in the third quarter if I remember and a third down. They blitzed Henne and he rolled out of the pocket. When we rolled to the right, the defensive linemen got jammed up by our line so now Henne was basically by himself and had ample enough time to reset his eyes and make a strike or at least run to for some type of gain. Instead he throws the ball away. These are they plays if feel a previous poster talks about they the same MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

He has decent poise and toughness in the pocket, but with things breakdown he doesn't have the innate ability to stay calm while attempting to extend the play, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Chad escape the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield throwing a strike to an open receiver. He's simply not a playmaker at that position.

Quote:The problem is it takes a certain kind of person to actually maintain their concentration on the guys down the field in those situations, and it doesn't seem to be something people learn.

Either they're like Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and Blake Bortles and have the courage to keep their eyes and mind on what's going on down the field, or they're like Gabbert and Henne and a bunch of other guys that couldn't make it work who get distracted and lose the play as soon as something happens to interrupt their concentration.

This is one of the reasons why the Jags selected Blake Bortles; the scouts were impressed with his pocket poise/presence, and the ability to extend plays while continuing to go through his progressions downfield. It's something that can't be taught, either you have or you don't.

The team is just wasting everyone's time. Henne is 29 years old. His flaws will never change.

If Henne lays another egg on Sunday, I hope they introduce the defense at the home opener because Henne is going to hear boos. And it could get ugly.

Quote:The team is just wasting everyone's time. Henne is 29 years old. His flaws will never change.

If Henne lays another egg on Sunday, I hope they introduce the defense at the home opener because Henne is going to hear boos. And it could get ugly.

I expect Blake to start sooner than later, we have a solid defense and playmakers at WR, we play in the worst division in football, play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. The Jags have a chance to win this the division.

Chad Runs as well as Dan Marino. I really don't care to see him jogging down field at my grandmothers pace. Stay in the pocket and learn to throw to the open receiver or get rid of the ball... no more 20 yard sacks please.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13