Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Just start Bortles already
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
I have been openly anti-Henne since the day he was re-signed.  But c'mon kids..  THIS is our best option as an opening day starter?!  This is a first glance assessment of what I saw out of him tonight, without the advantage of multiple viewings.

- Accurate on a couple of throws between 1 and 3 yards from the line of scrimmage.

- Rollout to the left and Henne badly misses on a throw of roughly ten yards

- Inaccurate throw on 3rd and 4 (Holding would have negated it anyway)

- A good throw to Hurns on 3rd and 7 in man coverage for the first down

- a tipped ball (Hanging Chad)

- Burns a timeout because guys aren't set up correctly.  After the timeout throws another ball on 3rd and 7 which is not even close

- Converts a 3rd and 16 to Hurns on a double slant where Rashean inexplicably gives a 15 yard cushion.  Good throw, great effort from Hurns to get the 1st.

- two sacks off play action for a 9 yard loss each (one he had no chance on as Joeckel missed an assignment.)

9-14 for 70 yards.  At no point was the offense really in rhythm. 

Bortles comes in with no timeouts and in 1:40 moves the ball 89 yards.  His 2nd throw for 28 yards down the sideline was better than any two of Henne's throws.  He made a very dangerous throw on a blitz which could have been picked and followed it up by standing tall in the pocket and throwing a dart to Marcedes for a first down.  There was another throw which looked dangerous across the middle to Lee, but a defensive penalty was called and it seems Lee could have been thrown off his route by contact downfield. 

Is he as ready as he could be? No.  Is he going to experience growing pains if thrust into the starting role? Absolutely.  But I would rather have a guy back there who has at least shown the ability to move this offense than suffer through whatever it is Henne does back there.  It just seems when Blake is back there, the playbook opens up a little more. Henne does not give us the best chance to win.  He just doesn't.  The future was bleak.  Now it's Blake.  Start the kid.

He's ready play the kid
His play has earned it. He should get the start
He should get the start for the season.  I don't give a damn what anyone says, he's ready and he's shown it from the scrimmage, through camp, and now all three outings in the preseason.  I think he'd be locked in as the starter had they got Mack at center.  I think the uncertainty of the OL is the only thing holding him back anymore.  

He will take his lumps throughout the season if he starts day 1, he will have rookie moments and he will struggle but I think he's proven he's more than mentally capable of handling those situations.  The game is not too big, the moment is not too big, he can handle it.

If you start Henne, you run the risk of the rest of the young guys on offense not being able to develop properly.  Henne simply isn't a starting QB in the league and never has been.  His hesitancy to throw anything other than a short pass is NOT good for the WRs/TE and their development.  

Yea its over for Henne !
O line isn't ready to protect our qb of the future. Start henne.
Henne is a joke, Bortles is a beast.. He's ready.. 

Seriously. People just need to give it up. Bortles is way better and he has proven it. Let the kid play.

I hope he at least starts the final preseason game.

few reasons i still say dont start him

1. the o line is not stable enough.

2. lets say on a scale of 1-10, right now bortles is a 7. starting now could permanently stagnate him at that level. sitting longer, bortles might come in and play closer to a 9. its like taking steroids when youre a kid, starting this early could stunt his growth. while 7 is def better than henne, 9 in the future would be better for bortles and the franchise.

3. the wide receivers. the guys hes playing with now wont be the same once everyone is healthy. he should wait until his timing with everyone is better. he and lee still seem like theyre off and he hasnt gotten much time with shorts, a rob, sanders....

the team is smart, caldwell and gus know that the future is more important than say half or even this whole season. i hope they do the right thing.

Quote:O line isn't ready to protect our qb of the future. Start henne.

Glad you aren't a coach.
Did you not see the other threads?  I don't understand how you could miss them.

Quote:few reasons i still say dont start him

1. the o line is not stable enough.

2. lets say on a scale of 1-10, right now bortles is a 7. starting now could permanently stagnate him at that level. sitting longer, bortles might come in and play closer to a 9. its like taking steroids when youre a kid, starting this early could stunt his growth. while 7 is def better than henne, 9 in the future would be better for bortles and the franchise.

3. the wide receivers. the guys hes playing with now wont be the same once everyone is healthy. he should wait until his timing with everyone is better. he and lee still seem like theyre off and he hasnt gotten much time with shorts, a rob, sanders....

the team is smart, caldwell and gus know that the future is more important than say half or even this whole season. i hope they do the right thing.

Would love to hear your reasons on why starting Bortles will permanently stagnate him.
If it stints his progression, that's probably about the only reason he won't go out there.  I don't know that it will, but the coaching staff knows better than I do.

Quote:Would love to hear your reasons on why starting Bortles will permanently stagnate him.

because of how we were told they redid his footwork and tweaked his mechanics. in my opinion, if he gets thrown in too soon, and he is in pressure situation, at this point too soon he will revert back to his natural habits. i obviously wouldnt know as well as the coaches but i think he should sit until instead of thinking about the new footwork and mechanics, its second nature to him. once he permanently changes his habit with that stuff, then i think it wont stagnate his growth as a player.
Does Blake look like a guy who is feeling pressure?  I will take Bortles with imperfect footwork over Henne all day, every day and twice on Sunday.  Yeah he is gonna go through growing pains.  It cannot be worse than Favre's first year in Green Bay.  But the kid ain't gonna learn on the sideline.  And he is clearly the better QB.

If a QB cant fix his footwork while learning on the fly then he probably wouldnt be any good in the first place. Stafford has horrible footwork and is still pretty dang good. start the kid

Quote:If a QB cant fix his footwork while learning on the fly then he probably wouldnt be any good in the first place. Stafford has horrible footwork and is still pretty dang good. start the kid

is stafford really that good? or does he just look that good because of megatron?
Quote:Does Blake look like a guy who is feeling pressure?  I will take Bortles with imperfect footwork over Henne all day, every day and twice on Sunday.  Yeah he is gonna go through growing pains.  It cannot be worse than Favre's first year in Green Bay.  But the kid ain't gonna learn on the sideline.  And he is clearly the better QB.

i understand that bortles with bad footwork is better than henne, but would you rather have bortles with bad footwork or bortles with really good footwork? people arent seeing the big picture.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17