Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Highlights from season ending press conference with Caldwell and Bradley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I took this from: http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/4...ars-future

Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley conducted a season-ending press conference on Monday. Here are the key points.

Caldwell

-Said there's no downside to bringing QB Blaine Gabbert back, that he at least is a very good backup that made strides. His return would be in doubt if Jaguars drafted a QB high in May's draft and resigned QB Chad Henne.

-Said RB Maurice Jones-Drew will likely hit the market in free agency. A deal prior to free agency was more likely for Henne.

-Said he can't say with certainty the Jaguars will draft a quarterback high. Has to see how the quarterback class looks once underclassmen declare.

-Said he can't give an update on WR Justin Blackmon, per league policy. If he is back, they are treating it as a "luxury."

-Said he expects high-priced veterans LB Paul Posluszny and TE Marcedes Lewis to be back in 2014.

-Said the draft has the best chance to improve the team's running game, with the ability to draft offensive linemen in the middle rounds.

-Said team likely won't sign more players in free agency than they did last year, but hopes to find guys that make a bigger impact.

-Said the season as a whole was very challenging, but rewarding.

-Said worst moment of season for him was when rookie LT Luke Joeckel broke his ankle in St. Louis game.

-Said he feels good about Austin Pasztor being the team's starting right tackle.

-Said he expects big things from WR Denard Robinson and CB Demetrius McCray in the future.

Bradley

-Said the Jaguars have improved the bottom half of the roster, now half to improve the upper half.

-Said he won't make any staff changes.

-Said coaching Senior Bowl would be "awesome" and a great evaluation tool.

-Said the best way to improve the secondary is to improve the pass rush. Says the Jaguars have to affect the quarterback more next season.
Quote: 

Caldwell

-Said he expects TE Marcedes Lewis to be back in 2014.

Bradley

-Said he won't make any staff changes.

Regarding Caldwell's quote - Unreal. Caldwell gets sucked into the trap too. 

Regarding Bradley's quote - not surprised.  I pegged Bradley as a guy who would probably stick with his originally hired staff out of loyalty. Could wind up being one of those guys where that noble concept becomes a double edged sword. Especially given that some of the assistants such as the Coordinators were weak hires to begin with. 
Cut Gabbert damnit. 

Quote:Regarding Caldwell's quote - Unreal. Caldwell gets sucked into the trap too. 

Regarding Bradley's quote - not surprised.  I pegged Bradley as a guy who would probably stick with his originally hired staff out of loyalty. Could wind up being one of those guys where that noble concept becomes a double edged sword. Especially given that some of the assistants such as the Coordinators were weak hires to begin with. 

yawn.. 
Caldwell has to be the most transparent GM in this league.  I'm amazed how open he is with media.

Quote:Regarding Caldwell's quote - Unreal. Caldwell gets sucked into the trap too. 

If they were only as smart as you...
To me, the most exciting thing I heard was Bradley talking about needing to improve the upper third part of the roster.  He believes the bottom third has improved (special teams players and backups) but that the upper third needs to improve and that will be the goal in the offseason.  Hopefully 1-2 big free agents can be had.

Quote:If they were only as smart as you...
It doesn't take a genius to know that improvements at OC can be had.
Quote:Caldwell has to be the most transparent GM in this league.  I'm amazed how open he is with media.

I'd like it better if he wasn't as. 

Being transparent as he is is something the fans and probably local media like, but isn't exactly doing yourself any favors in regards to showing your cards to the opponents. 

There's a difference between being transparent when you can be vs. being transparent about who you're going to go after in free agency or the draft.

He's not going to say "we're not interested in Clowney" or something of that nature and jeapordize our draft.

So MJD is a gonner, and our first pick will be a pass rusher. At least that's how I read it.

Rd 1 DE/OLB

Rd 2 QB

Rd 3 RB

Regarding Bradley's quote - not surprised.  I pegged Bradley as a guy who would probably stick with his originally hired staff out of loyalty. Could wind up being one of those guys where that noble concept becomes a double edged sword. Especially given that some of the assistants such as the Coordinators were weak hires to begin with
ROFL!
Quote:I'd like it better if he wasn't as. 

Being transparent as he is is something the fans and probably local media like, but isn't exactly doing yourself any favors in regards to showing your cards to the opponents. 
Although i do love knowing what he has planned for this team, for once i agree with you.  Although i don't think anything he said was too impactful, i just hope he is careful.
Another interesting thing. 

When asked "what positions do you feel good about?"  Caldwell said the secondary and Gus agreed, citing Strong Safety as a position he realy feels good about.

When asked "what positions on offense do you feel good about?" there was a long pause where they couldn't really come up with anything, before they said that the two tackle spots they feel really good about.
Two days into the offseason and the "schtick" is already unbearable.
Quote:Cut Gabbert damnit. 
I half expected your head to explode when you read they were keeping him. why cut him and pay him to toss cheese puffs at Sams?
So it looks like with all this cap room, we won't be spending big again. Disappointing.
You guys are sometimes thick... You think Caldwell is transparent?  But in reality you don't know.  Maybe he plans on cutting Gabbert but is looking to make it seem like he has a chance to stick.  He's increasing his trade value by saying they like him, he's improved, he's a good character, etc etc.  It could all just be posturing on Dave's part.  We don't know.  Freaking out and wetting the bed like TMD is just annoying.

Quote:ROFL!

Oh, you are satisfied with the 2 Coordinators that we have? The same ones that presided over 240 points scored and 450 points allowed? Okayyyyeeee. 
Quote:So it looks like with all this cap room, we won't be spending big again. Disappointing.

What makes you say that? 

They didn't specifically say they're going after some big free agents, but they didn't deny it either.  Gus said he will look to improve the upper third part of our roster, partially through free agency.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15