Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Andre Branch: Double digit sacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
5 sacks in his last 7 games. Can competition elevate his level in his third season? He was a markedly improved player from his first year to his second. And he's been giving high praise this offeseaon which included him being singled out as one of the top performers by Gus. 10 sacks is attainable right?
Quote:5 sacks in his last 7 games. Can competition elevate his level in his third season? He was a markedly improved player from his first year to his second. And he's been giving high praise this offeseaon which included him being singled out as one of the top performers by Gus. 10 sacks is attainable right?
i think it's possible but ill believe it when I see it.
It's not like he was beating guys 1-on-1. They had to scheme around him for him to be able to get those sacks.
Quote:It's not like he was beating guys 1-on-1. They had to scheme around him for him to be able to get those sacks.
What does that matter? All it means is that he is outstanding at running schemes. He has a strength that leads to production. A lot of players wish they had that.

If all it took was scheming, then why have we struggled at getting sacks for so many years?

In order for a scheme to work, you have to have someone who can execute the scheme. If Branch is that guy then the jags have another weapon.

I hope Branch does continue to develop, and is able to become a double digit sack producer.  However, this year may be tough due to likely sharing Leo snaps.  With Clemons' and Smith's arrival, and Babin's re-signing, Branch will need to become far more productive on a per snap basis if he has any chance of reaching the 10 or more sack mark.     

At the very least, with all the new additions, we won't be last in the league in sacks. "The QB must go down, and the QB must go down hard".

If Branch only got sacks because of the scheme, that God we run that scheme. Am I right?
The question I would have is he as good as Jeremy Mincey if you answer no, then I think double digit sacks are unlikely which is my answer.

I think one of our LEOs will get double digit sacks.

It's certainly possible it can be Branch. This scheme plays to his strengths and it seems he's gotten better since last year.
I just want someone to break Andrew Luck and then send the clots to L.A..

Quote:It's not like he was beating guys 1-on-1. They had to scheme around him for him to be able to get those sacks.

I'm not sure I see the problem here.  If he's getting sacks and impacting the QB, does it really matter how he's getting there? 
DE is a position you need to grow into with the NFL. It takes adjustment and the right coaching that focus on your strengths. Look at Jerry Hughes. Give Branch another season with Gus to prove his capabilities.
Quote:DE is a position you need to grow into with the NFL. It takes adjustment and the right coaching that focus on your strengths. Look at Jerry Hughes. Give Branch another season with Gus to prove his capabilities.

In listening to several interviews about Branch, the coaches have made it clear they basically had to tear him down and completely rebuild his game last year.  As the season progressed, we started to see the results of that effort.
ive kept my eye on branch since he got here.....i think his playing time was held back by vets like mincey in his first year.... . once we got minc off the roster, he was able to come out and show what he could do.. i think he benefited from more playing time and the scheme alot in his second campaign... but he was able to take advantage of his opportunity so i think the guy has some potential... hope ur right about double digit sacks, that would be the second draft pick gene had that worked lol.

Andre Branch is quickly becoming one of my more favorite Jags on the team at the moment for the sole reason that he has fought his way out of certain NFL death. He was pretty much considered done last training camp.

This year, He's going to have to do it again but a much more comfortable spot. Getting those sacks is going to be MUCH harder this year with the limited play time he will get. So long as he captures the moment again, I believe he can attain double digit sacks and become the primary backup to the LEO role.

Quote:Andre Branch is quickly becoming one of my more favorite Jags on the team at the moment for the sole reason that he has fought his way out of certain NFL death. He was pretty much considered done last training camp.

This year, He's going to have to do it again but a much more comfortable spot. Getting those sacks is going to be MUCH harder this year with the limited play time he will get. So long as he captures the moment again, I believe he can attain double digit sacks and become the primary backup to the LEO role.
i remember that... he  was considered on the bubble until he had a couple big plays in preseason iirc... im happy the guy was able to keep that going into the season... like you said its going to tough with all the vets this year, but, if it does i think it will be that much more impressive for the same reason.

If we only keep 3 LEOs i wouldnt be surprised if he got cut. Look at a stat sheet all you want, his sacks came from being unblocked not beating his man.
Quote:If we only keep 3 LEOs i wouldnt be surprised if he got cut. Look at a stat sheet all you want, his sacks came from being unblocked not beating his man.
highly doubt he will be cut... if that was even a  possibility, why would we have not tryed to deal him out for some picks? he's a young second round pick and his arrow is pointing up, we could have probably gotten a 3rd or a 4th for him easy....cutting him makes no since to me.
Its possible. THis year is his 3rd and if a breakout is going to occur it usually does by year 3. He trended upwards last season, which is good to see, finishing with 6 QB sacks. Another bump up to 10 is reasonable. 

It feels pretty realistic to say the pass rush overall will be improved this year which could help individual players be more productive. Branch did start to come on late last year but he doesn't strike me as a 10+ sack guy. If gets there, great for him. It'll probably mean our defense is being more successful overall.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18