Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Lays To Rest Any Thought Of QB Controversy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
After listening to today's post OTA presser, Gus had good things to say about Bortles. He says that he's improving. He also says he looks like a rookie. Probably the most important thing he said is that Blake will look much better once he is comfortable with the playbook, and the plays become second nature.

I think there lies the reasoning behind sitting Bortles, and why there is little if any chance of it changing anytime soon. This team wants him to intimately know this offense and to have a thorough knowledge of the playbook before there is any thought to putting him into the line of fire. On top of that, there are some coaching items that the team wants to work with Blake on and correct prior to him taking command of the offense.

I think it's smart. I love the approach.

More than anything, it certainly appears to lay to rest the idea that things are going to miraculously change overnight. They have a plan and a roadmap for this, and it appears that they are going to stick to it.

PS: did I mention that by all accounts, Henne also looks pretty sharp out there. Smile

Quote:After listening to today's post OTA presser, Gus had good things to say about Bortles. He says that he's improving. He also says he looks like a rookie. Probably the most important thing he said is that Blake will look much better once he is comfortable with the playbook, and the plays become second nature.

I think there lies the reasoning behind sitting Bortles, and why there is little if any chance of it changing anytime soon. This team wants him to intimately know this offense and to have a thorough knowledge of the playbook before there is any thought to putting him into the line of fire. On top of that, there are some coaching items that the team wants to work with Blake on and correct prior to him taking command of the offense.

I think it's smart. I love the approach.

More than anything, it certainly appears to lay to rest the idea that things are going to miraculously change overnight. They have a plan and a roadmap for this, and it appears that they are going to stick to it.

I agree that I love the approach of waiting to insert Bortles into the starting lineup. I hope they have the guts to stick with it. They've been saying all the right things....but as we know saying stuff in May and executing it in Sept/ October can be 2 different things. 

Henne looks sharp in practice? That's new he was bad last year.. here's to hoping Henne goes ham this year. 

In a perfect world Henne lights it up for us this year and Blake is ready to take over in 2015.

Quote:In a perfect world Henne lights it up for us this year and Blake is ready to take over in 2015.

...And the Jags trade him to the Texans for 3 first round picks.
Quote:In a perfect world Henne lights it up for us this year and Blake is ready to take over in 2015.
But then how do you bench a guy who's lighting it up?
Henne Given Sunday

I think the chances of Henne "lighting it up" are slim to none.

I can see him playing a little better than he did last year, but not by much.  

I can also see Bortles play in a few games and show promise, make some mistakes like rookies do, but show enough to make him the starter in 2015

I think it's good too. I'm tired of seeing so many wasted plays due to miscommunications between the QB and WR's. This approach should help Bortles avoid those mistakes.

And that's probably why they feel comfortable with Henne. 

Quote:PS: did I mention that by all accounts, Henne also looks pretty sharp out there. Smile

I really hope that's a good sign. All indications are he came in with a much different mindset, and that this is in the locker room, in meetings, and on the field. If Henne has a decent season, it gives this team options.
Quote:If Henne has a decent season, it gives this team options.

I agree. 

As much as I don't expect Henne to have a good season, I still hope & want him to. 

In a perfect world, Henne gets us to The Big Dance.  He gets hurt in the 1st half and Bortles steps in to win the Championship!. Ok, that wouldn't be perfect if Henne got hurt
Not going to give up on the present just because I'm excited for the future.
I will believe it when I see it, Henne has never shown that he is a reliable starting QB. If he is the starter all year we go 6-10 while much more competitive then last year. But without good starting QB play and a very young team that still has holes on it will be another long year.

When Bortles becomes the full time starter,I envision epic battles between him and Luck

Quote:Henne looks sharp in practice? That's new he was bad last year.. here's to hoping Henne goes ham this year. 

This is only the second time in his career where he's had a chance to be in the same system for more than a single year.  He has the advantage this time of not having to learn a new offense, so he's naturally going to be sharper.
Quote:...And the Jags trade him to the Texans for 3 first round picks.

Shhhhh you know their scouts read this stuff!
Quote:But then how do you bench a guy who's lighting it up?

If that's a problem we ever have ill be thrilled for now I wouldn't worry about it
Quote:I really hope that's a good sign. All indications are he came in with a much different mindset, and that this is in the locker room, in meetings, and on the field. If Henne has a decent season, it gives this team options.

Essentially this year is his last audition to land a starting job some where next year he knows that. We will get Hennes best, how much that's worth is yet to be seen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14