Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Alton Sterling - merged
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I dont know much about why the police were trying to arrest him. I've seen the video. Does appear to be excessive use of force. Discuss.

By now African Americas myself included should know to just do whatever the cops tell you to do. There is a 99.5% you'll end up dead if you do anything else. Which is sad

Quote:By now African Americas myself included should know to just do whatever the cops tell you to do. There is a 99.5% you'll end up dead if you do anything else. Which is sad

Those were my thoughts as well.  You never know if Joe Cop is having a bad day or has a god complex.  Just do anything they say if you want to get out alive.  You can fight anything unjust later in a court or something.
Quote:Those were my thoughts as well.  You never know if Joe Cop is having a bad day or has a god complex.  Just do anything they say if you want to get out alive.  You can fight anything unjust later in a court or something.

That cop is going to continue his career while your dead rather if he was right or wrong. I'd rather swallow my pride for 5 minutes to see another day. If a cop tells me Im being arrested for doing 40mph in a 35mph while riding a unicorn. Hell I guess I better slow that unicorn down 
Apparently all homicides by cops in baton rouge have been black victims.

My prayers for his family, especially his kids. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up without a dad. And I can't fathom having to leave my kids in their formative years in that way.

Those pigs deserve jail time.
Quote:Apparently all homicides by cops in baton rouge have been black victims.

My prayers for his family, especially his kids. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up without a dad. And I can't fathom having to leave my kids in their formative years in that way.

Those pigs deserve jail time.

The deserve to die.
Quote:That cop is going to continue his career while your dead rather if he was right or wrong. I'd rather swallow my pride for 5 minutes to see another day. If a cop tells me Im being arrested for doing 40mph in a 35mph while riding a unicorn. Hell I guess I better slow that unicorn down

I hear that.

However, it's sometimes very hard to be compliant when the pig grabs you and starts man handling you for what you think is no good reason.

Human instinct is to resist when someone is grabbing you violently and trying to force you to the ground.

I only saw the video once this morning in passing, but I've seen many times when the pig engages in the hostile act immediately without giving the victim a chance to comply.

That may not have been the situation in this case, but was more video released that shows the beginning of the confrontation?
Quote:The deserve to die.

Let's be realistic. Dude, it's a sad day when a blatant murder like this by a cop will result in very little ramifications for the murderer.

The family will be lucky if he gets jail time... more than likely he'll lose his job, but that's it. The system is broken, from the top all the way down.
There is more to the story, I am sure, and I am willing to let it all play out, but the video is pretty ugly. Definitely appears that the police officer who fired his gun could have gone another route. The two officers seemed in control of the guy at the time, for the most part. 

If I throw someone to the ground and murder them in cold blood, I get the death penalty. Not sure why this situation should be any different, but I'm sure our local right wing shill will be along any time to tell us how cops can do no wrong and we should be thanking them for taking a deadly musician off the streets for good.
Quote:If I throw someone to the ground and murder them in cold blood, I get the death penalty. Not sure why this situation should be any different, but I'm sure our local right wing shill will be along any time to tell us how cops can do no wrong and we should be thanking them for taking a deadly musician off the streets for good.
I am a right winger and this situation is pretty disgusting. Nice job on the political rant though. This after Crook Hillary gets off scot-free after what many have been indicted and found guilty of in the past. Something you or I would have been arrested for and thrown in jail. It swings both ways. Let's not go that route.

Quote:I am a right winger and this situation is pretty disgusting. Nice job on the political rant though. This after Crook Hillary gets off scott free after what many have been indicted and found guilty of in the past. Something you or I would have been arrested for and thrown in jail. It swings both ways. Let's not go that route.
FWIW, I'm in agreement with you on Hillary, but whatever. Let's not pretend that there isn't one specific person on this forum who'll come in and tell us how difficult the job is, how decisions have to be made in a split second, blah blah whatever. It's not the right wing. It's the identifier for the person who'll be coming in to say it.
Seeing that video was somehow more brutal than any beheading or execution video I've seen on the internet.Pretty grim even if the guy was no angel.
Quote:FWIW, I'm in agreement with you on Hillary, but whatever. Let's not pretend that there isn't one specific person on this forum who'll come in and tell us how difficult the job is, how decisions have to be made in a split second, blah blah whatever. It's not the right wing. It's the identifier for the person who'll be coming in to say it.

It is difficult and they do make split second decisions. That doesn't change the fact that this guy committed murder.
Based on the video and eyewitness accounts, it doesn't look good for the cops involved.  Now, they were responding to a report of someone pulling a gun and threatening another person in the parking lot of that store, but there's nothing in the video to indicate that he ever pulled it. 

The fact that they removed it from his pocket after the incident was over is a pretty good indication that he probably never even reached for it before someone yelled gun and the cop started shooting at him point blank. 

Now, the fact that someone screamed "he's got a gun!" in the middle of that altercation could certainly take a cop who is already on a hair trigger knowing that he's dealing with a perp who is armed and potentially dangerous based on the initial report, and send him into hyper mode in the way he responds.  That's certainly a possibility here.  It doesn't make it a clean shooting.  He's still in the wrong, but the reaction would be somewhat understandable in the heat of the moment.

Conservatives may support law enforcement in general, but they're not going to stand behind someone when it's a bad shooting.  We don't have all of the evidence, and we only have a grainy cell phone video to use as witness, but it certainly sounds like the local PD and the state of LA have done their part to handle this correctly so far.  I think the JD swooping in and opening a civil rights investigation is a little knee jerk based on what we know so far, but that's a political operation that is always going to respond to incidents like this in this manner.

I think bottom line the cops had him on the ground, 2 on 1.  No reason they couldn't have neutralized the situation, disarmed him, and arrested him.

"Dont move again or I'll kill you" is wrong in this circumstance. 

It's hard to really judge based on the video and what is known so far.  My only guess is that the guy refused to follow instructions, gets hit with a stun-gun and continues to resist and a struggle ensues.  While they did have him on the ground the most important part isn't known.  Did they have control of his hands and if not was he attempting to go for his weapon?  If he was then the shooting could be ruled justified.

If he was fully subdued and controlled then at most the officer that did the shooting could face manslaughter charges.

What the [BLEEP] [BLEEP] is wrong with people?!
Quote:What the [BAD WORD REMOVED] [BAD WORD REMOVED] is wrong with people?!

This world is crazy.

The officers will probably end up with a promotion :yucky:
I'm not passing judgement yet. He was a large, strong man and a convicted felon in possession of a firearm who was physically resisting arrest after being reported for brandishing said weapon. The cops used a taser on him to no effect. Everyone seems quick to disparage the police without considering their situation and the very real threat he posed to them. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14