Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell Presser Notes Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Paraphrases of Caldwell: 

Still believe in Blake but new HC will decide who their QB will be. No mandate to start Blake. 

Shad has selected me to find a new HC. 

Decided (with Khan) to fire Bradley prior to Sunday's game. 

Interesting that the decision to fire him was made BEFORE the game.

He was probably told if he didn't get to 5 wins he would be gone.. This was probably a contractual firing based on a predetermined number of wins that he failed to reach...

No timeline on new hire, but sooner is better than later.

Has taken responsibility of his own mistakes three times thus far. (10 minutes in)

Quote:Interesting that the decision to fire him was made BEFORE the game.
Regardless if he won or lost, he was fired.

I agree. That's weird.
I thought he would be fired at the bye week but I think beating Indy postponed that. I find it hard to believe they would have still fired Gus after a win yesterday. I don't believe that.

On Bortles:  I still believe he has a high ceiling. A new coach will have a different perspective. 

Did LA's decision hasten your decision? 

It started our conversation about it.

Quote:Has taken responsibility of his own mistakes three times thus far. (10 minutes in)

He has also said more than once that no player is untouchable, whether they're a high draft pick or an expensive free agent.
Quote:Did LA's decision hasten your decision? 

It started our conversation about it.

Yeah, basically confirmed that caused them to pull the trigger 2 weeks early.  Not surprising.  "Didn't want to fall behind"
Sounds like we will hire a new head coach sooner rather than later.
Where is previous NFL HC experience on your priority list?

Don't want to eliminate candidates that don't have it but experience is invaluable. 

Doug Marrone will be a candidate - but we'll cast a wide net. 

Also, flat out, does not put a mandate on coach for ANY player to play.

Quote:He has also said more than once that no player is untouchable, whether they're a high draft pick or an expensive free agent.

I think even he realizes he's in no position to demand anything from anyone. His only hope is to find a new coach who gets the team winning which in turn will save his butt.
Tom Coughlin is someone we are interested in talking to. 

Quote:On Bortles: I still believe he has a high ceiling. A new coach will have a different perspective.

He almost has to say this. I just can't imagine we go QB with a top 5 pick. I don't see any good options in FA either. So I'm not sure what the plan will be.
Has Wash done enough to consider being retained?

HC will have autonomy on that, but I'll give my recommendation. 

Quote:Tom Coughlin is someone we are interested in talking to. 

Good to hear him say it, and to expand upon that with some more flattering comments.
Quote:Tom Coughlin is someone we are interested in talking to. 
Sweet!

*** fingers crossed ***
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22