Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Breaking Down The Monroe Trade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
In April, many of us were excited when we took Luke Joeckel at #2. It meant that we would have bookend tackles for the next 10 years. Apparently, David Caldwell did not feel the same way. It's funny, because after the draft, I made a topic saying it would be a good idea to trade Eugene Monroe. Of course, I was flamed, because it was the unconventional idea. But here it is.

Caldwell thinks multiple 3rd Day draft picks are worth more than Monroe. I agree. And here's why. Note: it can not and will not be a 7th rounder included in the trade, because Baltimore has already traded theirs.

This upcoming draft is LOADED with talent through every single round. It's one of the deepest we've seen in a long, long time. There's a reason why this is a no-brainer. Here is just a small list of the OT prospects coming out in the 2014 Draft. http://www.football.com/en-us/2014-nfl-d...e-tackles/. If you take a look, these are all very explosive players. The amount of quality tackles coming out in this draft has not been seen for a very long time. The draft is so deep, we could potentially get a normally 2nd round talent, in the 3rd-4th round.

There was always speculation whether Monroe would even be Franchised or signed to a new contract for 2014. Now, we know what Caldwell's plan was. Monroe wasn't going to be here next year. Luke Joeckel gets to return to his normal position, and we don't have to pay big Top-10 LT money for Monroe. Monroe was one of my favorite players on this team, but it was the right move. It's a good thing Baltimore was interested, because we got more in this trade than we would have gotten if we had let him walk in F/A (Compensatory picks).

I think it's a definite that OL, and DE will be a pretty big focus in April 2014. This roster is being turned over on to it's head. And Caldwell's doing it the right way. We need to accumulate as many picks as we can. We may have just gotten 3-4 for a player who we would have let walk in F/A.

We all knew and said this thing needed to be blown up. And now it is. This is a good trade, stop derping and look at it like this.

Is anyone shocked? I mean, I know we have plenty of people who love to play shocked - no shortage of Drama Queens around here, but I think Caldwell has been very clear on his mission - build through the draft.

How do you do that - you accumulate picks. How do you get picks? By trading people who have some value.

Of course, the Queens will have Monroe as a HoF LT before they are through, so they can moan that Caldwell didn't get enough for Monroe.

Because moan is what they do.

I'm more concerned with who we get for the picks, and that won't be known for quite some time.

We can't wait! It's time to moan and groan!
I haven't researched on how deep this draft will be, nor do i feel like it yet. But I'm going to believe you since you're usually good when it comes to facts. I think you're right about us wanting to build first with OL and a DE (maybe DT) too. I definitely feel like we should get a QB first though, before anything else. The question is: Which QB? my gut and the rest of the forum seem to go in Teddy's direction, but I'm not sure if we should be so sold on him just yet.

Cyrus Kouandjio

Yes please

Quote:I haven't researched on how deep this draft will be, nor do i feel like it yet. But I'm going to believe you since you're usually good when it comes to facts. I think you're right about us wanting to build first with OL and a DE (maybe DT) too. I definitely feel like we should get a QB first though, before anything else. The question is: Which QB? my gut and the rest of the forum seem to go in Teddy's direction, but I'm not sure if we should be so sold on him just yet.
QB is a no brainer in the first round.

What I meant by OL/DE being the focus was in rounds 2-7.

Jags need the picks, the offensive line is an absolute joke anyway, Uche is trash, Will is trash, Meester was solid and should not have been re-signed. I say start Brewster, bring Nowak back. How could it be worse than the status quo? Richard Collier could play better today than these bums. Shake it up!

1. Clowney

2. RT/OG/C

3. Mettenberger/Carr

Hmm I am thinking more of a traditional approach like 1st QB, 2nd QB, trade up into 2nd again take another QB, another QB in the 3rd and then some fillers below. We need Gene Smith circa 2010 on DT kind of stubbornness, just with the QB. One of those guys will be good. I don't care what round he comes from, just find him. Forget everything else, give me the QB!

Quote:1. Clowney

2. RT/OG/C

3. Mettenberger/Carr

No way. They'll HAVE to go with a QB.

For a variety of reasons, of which I'm sure you're aware.
Quote:Jags need the picks, the offensive line is an absolute joke anyway, Uche is trash, Will is trash, Meester was solid and should not have been re-signed. I say start Brewster, bring Nowak back. How could it be worse than the status quo? Richard Collier could play better today than these bums. Shake it up!

Stay classy.
it seems caldwells approach is BAP so it could go either way, right now i wouldnt be surprised if we trade out of the first pick

Quote:it seems caldwells approach is BAP so it could go either way, right now i wouldnt be surprised if we trade out of the first pick

If we trade out of the 1st pick in the draft, I will re-evaluate my loyalty to this franchise and the NFL in general at that point.
Quote:If we trade out of the 1st pick in the draft, I will re-evaluate my loyalty to this franchise and the NFL in general at that point.
The only way I would want a trade is if it is to the 2nd pick and we get some more high picks along with it.
Quote:it seems caldwells approach is BAP so it could go either way, right now i wouldnt be surprised if we trade out of the first pick
I don't even know how you came up with this.

Caldwell drafted Luke Joeckel because no other player of need was good enough to be selected at #2.

We picked 5 DBs. DB was a position of need.
Quote:1. Clowney

2. RT/OG/C

3. Mettenberger/Carr

Yeah, lets settle for mediocrity at QB when we can one of the best QB products in the past decade.

Quote:I don't even know how you came up with this.

Caldwell drafted Luke Joeckel because no other player of need was good enough to be selected at #2.

I kinda wanted us to pick Mingo at the time, but seeing how Caldwell didnt value Monroe long term it makes sense. I just hope we can fix the O-line enough so Teddy doesnt take that much of a beating. 

Quote:If we trade out of the 1st pick in the draft, I will re-evaluate my loyalty to this franchise and the NFL in general at that point.

What if they are offered a Herschel Walker type deal by say Cleveland? To refresh your memory that trade was a #1, #2, & #6 with conditional picks that ended up being 2 #1's, 2 #2's, and a #3 plus a few other players. Still would not take it?
Quote:I don't even know how you came up with this.

or because he was the best player in the draft, which apparently made monroe expendable, idk if he wouldve taken fisher if joeckel was taken first.
Quote:What if they are offered a Herschel Walker type deal by say Cleveland? To refresh your memory that trade was a #1, #2, & #6 with conditional picks that ended up being 2 #1's, 2 #2's, and a #3 plus a few other players. Still would not take it?
I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Quote:or because he was the best player in the draft, which apparently made monroe expendable, idk if he wouldve taken fisher if joeckel was taken first.
Caldwell said he would have picked either of the two because no other players were good enough to be selected at #2.
no one else worth the #2 = best available player.  i didnt know he said that about fisher, link?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14