Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: More PC Madness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
This movement towards being so PC is getting out of hand, especially on college campuses.  How it relates to politics is the attempt to shut down freedom of speech or freedom of expression.

Take for example how university leaders are "outraged" by some signs that some frat guys hung from their house recently.

Then take a look at why so many comedians refuse to do shows on college campuses.

The problem goes deeper when we look at how colleges have come up with "free speech zones".

Thoughts?

What is "PC" about finding these signs vile or distasteful?

[Image: ODU82415.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

Quote:This movement towards being so PC is getting out of hand, especially on college campuses.  How it relates to politics is the attempt to shut down freedom of speech or freedom of expression.

Take for example how university leaders are "outraged" by some signs that some frat guys hung from their house recently.

Then take a look at why so many comedians refuse to do shows on college campuses.

The problem goes deeper when we look at how colleges have come up with "free speech zones".

Thoughts?
The signs are pretty messed up.

Ok, very messed up.

My thoughts on the comedians: if you find them distasteful or know that they have a history of bringing issues you're not comfortable with into their act, why are you buying a ticket? The best stand-up comics use their humor to make observations about society, and to point out what's right and (more often) wrong with it. I did more thinking after an hour spent in a theater with Lewis Black than I did in a few college courses. If someone really can't handle having sensitive issues and sore spots impersonally poked and prodded by a guy on stage 50 feet away, what are they going to do when those same topics come up over Thanksgiving dinner, where laughing at them is almost always not an option?

The entire United States is a free speech zone, imo.
Quote:What is "PC" about finding these signs vile or distasteful?

[Image: ODU82415.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

What is so distasteful?  It's a JOKE, meant to be humorous.
Quote:The signs are pretty messed up.

Ok, very messed up.

My thoughts on the comedians: if you find them distasteful or know that they have a history of bringing issues you're not comfortable with into their act, why are you buying a ticket? The best stand-up comics use their humor to make observations about society, and to point out what's right and (more often) wrong with it. I did more thinking after an hour spent in a theater with Lewis Black than I did in a few college courses. If someone really can't handle having sensitive issues and sore spots impersonally poked and prodded by a guy on stage 50 feet away, what are they going to do when those same topics come up over Thanksgiving dinner, where laughing at them is almost always not an option?

The entire United States is a free speech zone, imo.

I agree with you on the bold part, but look at it for what it is.  It's college age kids having fun, and it's not too far off.  It's a JOKE although it strikes home to many because it's also reality.  How many college freshman females, if they haven't already been "de-flowered" will eventually experience that?
Quote:I agree with you on the bold part, but look at it for what it is.  It's college age kids having fun, and it's not too far off.  It's a JOKE although it strikes home to many because it's also reality.  How many college freshman females, if they haven't already been "de-flowered" will eventually experience that?
It insinuates rape of the mother and daughter. That's my problem with it.
Quote:It insinuates rape of the mother and daughter. That's my problem with it.

Come on.  I would think that you would think otherwise.  It's a harmless JOKE that addresses the hormones of young adults, specifically young adult males.  Are you going to say that young men and women in the college atmosphere are not going to engage in sexual activity?
Quote:Come on.  I would think that you would think otherwise.  It's a harmless JOKE that addresses the hormones of young adults, specifically young adult males.  Are you going to say that young men and women in the college atmosphere are not going to engage in sexual activity?
Oh hell no. There are two types of people in America: those who had sex in college, and those who are lying.

The signs may not intend to imply rape, but the shady reputation of fraternities on college campuses, plus the intentionally creepy invitation for freshman girls to be dropped off at the door (along with their mothers) strongly suggests that nothing good will happen once they're inside.
Quote:Oh hell no. There are two types of people in America: those who had sex in college, and those who are lying.

The signs may not intend to imply rape, but the shady reputation of fraternities on college campuses, plus the intentionally creepy invitation for freshman girls to be dropped off at the door (along with their mothers) strongly suggests that nothing good will happen once they're inside.

Or rather, it's simply a JOKE.

Personally, If I was driving onto a college campus and passed this house with my wife and daughter, I would point it out to her (my daughter) and tell her that these are some of the choices that she is facing in life.

I would find it interesting to see how those that were members of fraternities or sororities ended up doing later in life.  My brother was a member of one, and he ended up alright, but I don't think that the fraternity that he was a member of was like the fraternity in the picture/story.
Quote:Come on.  I would think that you would think otherwise.  It's a harmless JOKE that addresses the hormones of young adults, specifically young adult males.  Are you going to say that young men and women in the college atmosphere are not going to engage in sexual activity?

Boys will be boys, eh?
Everyone has the right to free speech, but free speech isn't free of consequences.

And this is the problem. There is nothing that says "rape" in those signs, yet you just assume the worst and then applaud the college for stifling free speech.

Quote:And this is the problem. There is nothing that says "rape" in those signs, yet you just assume the worst and then applaud the college for stifling free speech.
Hang on, lemme look inside my mouth and see if there are any words there applauding colleges for stifling free speech.

Hold on, still checking...

Gotta get behind the uvula...

Nothing under the tongue...

Better go up towards the sinus cavity just in case they managed to sneak up there...

...nope. Nothing.
Quote:Hang on, lemme look inside my mouth and see if there are any words there applauding colleges for stifling free speech.

Hold on, still checking...

Gotta get behind the uvula...

Nothing under the tongue...

Better go up towards the sinus cavity just in case they managed to sneak up there...

...nope. Nothing.

Very funny.

Clearly "applaud" was the wrong word. But your posts are slanted in the direction of justifying the stifling of free speech.

It speaks to your own mind that you interpret picking girls up as rape.
Quote:What is so distasteful?  It's a JOKE, meant to be humorous.

If you don't see why they are distasteful then I don't know what to tell you
Quote:Or rather, it's simply a JOKE.

Personally, If I was driving onto a college campus and passed this house with my wife and daughter, I would point it out to her (my daughter) and tell her that these are some of the choices that she is facing in life.

I would find it interesting to see how those that were members of fraternities or sororities ended up doing later in life.  My brother was a member of one, and he ended up alright, but I don't think that the fraternity that he was a member of was like the fraternity in the picture/story.

Yeah...  Has it been a while since you've been to college?    I was actually in a fraternity.  And trust me, most of what we did was UN-PC.  But we did it all behind close doors.  I'm actually pretty sure me and my brothers said things 1,000,000X's more offensive than that.  But my fraternity, and all fraternities at UNM knew better than to write offensive language out in public.  The worst thing I think I ever saw was a party called "Cherry Bust", and once the University caught wind of it, it got shot down pretty quick and had to be changed to Watermelon Bust.  Because actions and even words written have consequences, as TED has said.

Those idiots will not be prosecuted for those words.  You know, because for our Constitution.  But they will be reprimanded by the dean and probably also put on double secret probation.  All of which they justly deserve and all well within our Constitution.

That's kinda how it works in the USA.  And guess what, it's been this way for a very long time.  You can say stupid things and not go to jail.  But usually stupid things have a way of catching up to you.  
Quote:It speaks to your own mind that you interpret picking girls up as rape.

A sign pointing to a frat house saying "hope your baby girl is ready for a good time". You are either very naive or being purposefully ignorant.
Quote:It speaks to your own mind that you interpret picking girls up as rape.

Yes, it's TJ's mind that needs checking...   Rolleyes
Quote:A sign pointing to a frat house saying "hope your baby girl is ready for a good time". You are either very naive or being purposefully ignorant.

It's easy for a guy on a football message forum to have flsptsgd's position.  Different to defend it in a real life sitch...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15