Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hurrican Irma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
I'm shocked there's not a thread about this already. They're saying it could become a category six wiping entire cities off the map, and Jacksonville could be in its path.
It's early but I am certainly keeping an eye on it.
National Hurricane Center forecast discussion

Quote:It is too early to determine what direct impacts Irma might have
on the continental United States.  Regardless, everyone in
hurricane-prone areas should ensure that they have their hurricane
plan in place, as we are now near the peak of the season.

Please don't give in to hype. There is no such thing as a "category 6" storm. Forecast models past the point that the NWS is releasing are just this side of useless. A few days ago, Irma was going to wipe the entire Caribbean Sea off the map. Now, the Bahamas are going to be devastated. Tomorrow, who knows?

Everybody on the east coast of the United States needs to be paying very close attention to Irma, but media outlets saying that it's going to destroy entire cities, and that this place or that place are directly in the crosshairs when it's still at least a week out should be ignored. It's the weather equivalent of fake news.
(09-03-2017, 12:18 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]National Hurricane Center forecast discussion

Quote:It is too early to determine what direct impacts Irma might have
on the continental United States.  Regardless, everyone in
hurricane-prone areas should ensure that they have their hurricane
plan in place, as we are now near the peak of the season.

Please don't give in to hype. There is no such thing as a "category 6" storm. Forecast models past the point that the NWS is releasing are just this side of useless. A few days ago, Irma was going to wipe the entire Caribbean Sea off the map. Now, the Bahamas are going to be devastated. Tomorrow, who knows?

Everybody on the east coast of the United States needs to be paying very close attention to Irma, but media outlets saying that it's going to destroy entire cities, and that this place or that place are directly in the crosshairs when it's still at least a week out should be ignored. It's the weather equivalent of fake news.

At this time,  there's indeed far too much uncertainty about the impact,  if any,  it will have on the United States.   By the middle of the week,  there should be a noticeably more higher probable % forecast for the United States.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n...k/70002631
The only thing certain right now is uncertainty.
Too soon to tell. Could be another Harvey, could spin out to the mid Atlantic and do nothing. We'll see. I'm pretty safe from hurricanes where I am, but I do have family and friends in FL. Hope it steers clear of you all.
Meh you get used to hurricanes it's the one time being a doomsday prepper really pays off. I got plenty of water food and lights so I'm not worried
A hurricane that goes to six? Is that anything like an amplifier that goes to eleven?
(09-03-2017, 09:22 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]A hurricane that goes to six? Is that anything like an amplifier that goes to eleven?

Basically the same thing. If it's too loud, you're too old
(09-03-2017, 04:08 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Too soon to tell. Could be another Harvey, could spin out to the mid Atlantic and do nothing. We'll see. I'm pretty safe from hurricanes where I am, but I do have family and friends in FL. Hope it steers clear of you all.

HIGHLY doubt it'll be another Harvey..Harvey was a weather anomaly that only comes along once in a lifetime..if even that. It was already a slow moving storm (moved about 2 mph) and the weather systems that were in place when it got here prevented it from just going inland and fizzlIing out, instead it pinned the storm right off the coast and caused it to dump a unprecedented amount of rain on Houston for 5 days. Every possible bad scenerio had to fall perfectly into place to allow Harvey to do what it did, it made 3 landfalls (2 in Texas). It was the Gulf's version of the perfect storm. 

If Irma is moving at a decent speed and is allowed to progress on it's course while the storm surge and wind damage has the potential to be devestating the flooding won't be remotely comparable to Harvey. Irma could potentially be another Andrew though. (But the building codes in that state have drastically changed, because of Andrew.) I do hope everyone stays safe and hope the storm takes a drastic turn towards the north and veers off to nowhere.
(09-03-2017, 06:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm shocked there's not a thread about this already. They're saying it could become a category six wiping entire cities off the map, and Jacksonville could be in its path.

Maybe I'll hold off weeding the garden till next week, in case Jacksonville is destroyed.
(09-04-2017, 01:45 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2017, 04:08 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Too soon to tell. Could be another Harvey, could spin out to the mid Atlantic and do nothing. We'll see. I'm pretty safe from hurricanes where I am, but I do have family and friends in FL. Hope it steers clear of you all.

HIGHLY doubt it'll be another Harvey..Harvey was a weather anomaly that only comes along once in a lifetime..if even that. It was already a slow moving storm (moved about 2 mph) and the weather systems that were in place when it got here prevented it from just going inland and fizzlIing out, instead it pinned the storm right off the coast and caused it to dump a unprecedented amount of rain on Houston for 5 days. Every possible bad scenerio had to fall perfectly into place to allow Harvey to do what it did, it made 3 landfalls (2 in Texas). It was the Gulf's version of the perfect storm. 

If Irma is moving at a decent speed and is allowed to progress on it's course while the storm surge and wind damage has the potential to be devestating the flooding won't be remotely comparable to Harvey. Irma could potentially be another Andrew though. (But the building codes in that state have drastically changed, because of Andrew.) I do hope everyone stays safe and hope the storm takes a drastic turn towards the north and veers off to nowhere.

While you're correct there, if it happens to take the course that swings it around to Tampa, they're [BLEEP]. 

That city is less prepared for a direct hurricane hit than New Orleans pre Katrina. The counties North of there (Hernando, Pasco) flood from a decent rain and the whole area has been waterlogged for like 2 months now. The most dangerous path Irma could take would be re-strengthening in the Gulf and hitting Tampa, which some models are showing.
With all the technology and science , why dont they drop big ice cubes to cool the water and destroy the hurricane
(09-05-2017, 06:41 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]With all the technology and science ,  why dont they drop big ice cubes to cool the water and destroy the hurricane

Methods are in the research phase

[Image: FB_IMG_1504609035618.jpg]
Meh. Probably grab a few cases of water and food for my dog today. That's about it. I think it'll be about as bad as last year's hurricane that hit us in October. Depending on where you live it may not be too bad.
Meteorologists predicted a holiday weekend of rain, rain, and more rain last week. They couldn't get their local reports right, so we should panic now since one model has the eye coming right over Jacksonville when 2 days ago the majority were saying most models had it turning north and possibly hitting the Carolinas or staying in the Atlantic. They were also prediction g it would remain a Cat 4 all week and it was just upgraded to a Cat 5 this morning. They have no idea, but amping up the drama makes for good ratings.
(09-05-2017, 08:31 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Meteorologists predicted a holiday weekend of rain, rain, and more rain last week.  They couldn't get their local reports right, so we should panic now since one model has the eye coming right over Jacksonville when 2 days ago the majority were saying most models had it turning north and possibly hitting the Carolinas or staying in the Atlantic.  They were also prediction g it would remain a Cat 4 all week and it was just upgraded to a Cat 5 this morning.  They have no idea, but amping up the drama makes for good ratings.

And retail sales. This alarming weather report brought to you by Gate Petroleum, Winn Dixie, and Home Depot.
(09-05-2017, 08:31 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Meteorologists predicted a holiday weekend of rain, rain, and more rain last week.  They couldn't get their local reports right, so we should panic now since one model has the eye coming right over Jacksonville when 2 days ago the majority were saying most models had it turning north and possibly hitting the Carolinas or staying in the Atlantic.  They were also prediction g it would remain a Cat 4 all week and it was just upgraded to a Cat 5 this morning.  They have no idea, but amping up the drama makes for good ratings.
Actually, the intensification is a really bad thing for Florida. The central and eastern Panhandle are likely screwed. The peninsula just might make out ok.
(09-05-2017, 08:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

And retail sales. This alarming weather report brought to you by Gate Petroleum, Winn Dixie, and Home Depot.

Winn Dixie haha..

Dude, if I have to, I'll float further down the street and loot Publix instead..
(09-05-2017, 08:41 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2017, 08:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]And retail sales. This alarming weather report brought to you by Gate Petroleum, Winn Dixie, and Home Depot.

Winn Dixie haha..

Dude, if I have to, I'll float further down the street and loot Publix instead..

Leave some deli fried chicken for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22