Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defensive coordinator candidates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Quote:Gus Bradley – I don’t really want this move, but it would make sense in a prove it year for Bradley to do it himself.

Todd Wash – Another internal hire, which I’m not a fan of, but Wash was the run game coordinator this season and that was one of the few bright spots, mostly.

Jim Tomsula – People will probably laugh at this, but I’m quite serious. Tomsula was a great defensive line coach for a long time for the 49ers and it could be a perfect pit stop to help rehab his image.

Eric Mangini – Mangini has been a defensive coordinator for the Patriots and last season with the 49ers. He’s a former head coach with a wealth of experience and is also likely now out of job with Tomsula being fired.

Raheem Morris – Ryan O’Halloran mentioned Morris but to my knowledge he’s never called plays on defense and has mostly been a defensive backs coach outside of his short spell as a head coach.

Jim Schwartz – This would be my top choice, but he could be in line for a head coaching gig or a more stable DC gig on a newly hired staff.

Mike Pettine – He’s a Rex Ryan disciple, which is more in the 3-4 mold, but he’s a respected defensive coach. Another guy who could use a shot at an image rehab.

Pepper Johnson – Johnson was on staff under Schwartz with the Bills and previously worked as an LB/DL coach for the Patriots and Jets.

Fred Pagac – Has spent time as a linebackers coach and was the DC for the Vikings for a few years when Leslie Frazier left. Currently he is the Broncos LB coach.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/1/5/10719400/jaguars-defensive-coordinator-search-who-are-some-of-the-candidates'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/1/5/10719400/jaguars-defensive-coordinator-search-who-are-some-of-the-candidates</a>

Thoughts? Any names you like to see that weren't mentioned?
Mike Smith
Based on what has been mentioned the last couple of days,  what is the likelihood that the Jags will continue to use their current Defensive Scheme or a slightly modified version of it?

Quote:Based on what has been mentioned the last couple of days,  what is the likelihood that the Jags will continue to use their current Defensive Scheme or a slightly modified version of it?

Good question. I am sure we will still have a Leo DE and Otto OLB. Those positions come from Gus Bradley's tenure in Seattle. Wasn't Dante Fowler drafted to be a Leo?
Quote:Based on what has been mentioned the last couple of days,  what is the likelihood that the Jags will continue to use their current Defensive Scheme or a slightly modified version of it?

Depends on what degree you're talking about.

They've already confirmed they'll remain a 4-3 defense, so there won't be a radical change in that regard. I think who they end up promoting to coordinator will tell us a lot about how the defense will be next season. An internal promotion, e.g. Wash, should likely mean that it will in essence be the same defense schematically. Whereas, if they go outside the organization, I think it's likely they'll let the new DC tailor their defense to fit the personnel we have. The fact there's been some discussion about Gus maybe taking over the play calling duties leads me to believe it's the former though.
Quote:Depends on what degree you're talking about.

They've already confirmed they'll remain a 4-3 defense, so there won't be a radical change in that regard. I think who they end up promoting to coordinator will tell us a lot about how the defense will be next season. An internal promotion, e.g. Wash, should likely mean that it will in essence be the same defense schematically. Whereas, if they go outside the organization, I think it's likely they'll let the new DC tailor their defense to fit the personnel we have. The fact there's been some discussion about Gus maybe taking over the play calling duties leads me to believe it's the former though.

Thanks for the information and analysis.

One reason I asked the question is that Tennessee Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton wasn't on the above list.   Horton could easily become available based on the state of flux Tennessee is in.   Being that he's been a 3-4 base Defensive Coordinator for a long time,  he probably wouldn't be a good fit for the Jaguars based on what you mentioned.   Having said that,  I think Horton would be a very good choice for a 3-4 base team.
Quote:  Thanks for the information and analysis.

One reason I asked the question is that Tennessee Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton wasn't on the above list.   Horton could easily become available based on the state of flux Tennessee is in.   Being that he's been a 3-4 base Defensive Coordinator for a long time,  he probably wouldn't be a good fit for the Jaguars based on what you mentioned.   Having said that,  I think Horton would be a very good choice for a 3-4 base team.

I actually looked into Horton's scheme and it's an interesting hybrid of 3-4 and 4-3, but not necessary the same way that ours is a hybrid so I'm not sure if it would work with the personnel we currently have. I still think of the outside possibilities that Schwartz is the best available since he runs a 4-3 whose style isn't all that much different from how we like to play. I think whoever lands the job in Tennessee would be foolish to let Horton walk since he's really turned that defense around without much talent being injected there.

Here's a great in depth article about Horton's scheme: http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/1/...e-a-primer

Odds on favorite is Gus call his old college room mate up who averaged a C at physical fitness for the job.  Gus likes his positive attitude and the way he makes ice cream twist

I think it is pretty obvious our next DC needs to be a 4-3 guy with some 3-4 experience, not the other way around. When the 3-4 defense became popular, I hated it because DEs were struggling with the switch to OLB, proving you need different personnel to make it work. The Broncos signed a player who has been in the 3-4 style for years  (DeMarcus Ware) and also very capable of rushing passers from the LOS. When a team can do that, the hybrid  defense works. (BTW Ware played for Wade Phillips in Dallas, so he is a natural fit in Denver, where his DC is . . . Wade Phillips.)

On the other paw, the Jaguars spent three years remaking their rosters. They want players who can do it the Seattle Way. Make a plan; find the players. I am more interested in what tweaks to expect when Gus Bradley says what traits he is looking for. Does he want someone who is the complete opposite of Bob Babich? 

I keep thinking there might be someone on Seattle's staff that Gus knows and would be able to come over and call the plays.

Quote:I keep thinking there might be someone on Seattle's staff that Gus knows and would be able to come over and call the plays.
That guy was the guy I thought we should've brought over last year in Ken Norton Jr. JDR beat us to the punch a year earlier while building his new staff and snagged him as his coordinator. The Raiders defense looks better because of him and the Seahawks defense has gotten worse.

The next best thing is the guy who currently coaches our D-line Todd Wash. He coached with Gus in Seattle as well and while he hasn't officially called plays he was given a pseudo promotion to run defense coordinator last year and our run defense was usually the best part of our defense the majority of the year. He could be ready for the next step in coaching progression.
Quote:That guy was the guy I thought we should've brought over last year in Ken Norton Jr. JDR beat us to the punch a year earlier while building his new staff and snagged him as his coordinator. The Raiders defense looks better because of him and the Seahawks defense has gotten worse.

The next best thing is the guy who currently coaches our D-line Todd Wash. He coached with Gus in Seattle as well and while he hasn't officially called plays he was given a pseudo promotion to run defense coordinator last year and our run defense was usually the best part of our defense the majority of the year. He could be ready for the next step in coaching progression.

That's exactly why I think he's the most likely option.
Gus is going to pick someone who is familiar with his system and spent some time in Seattle. Gus will take over play calling and be the defacto DC.

What Gus needs is someone with experience in a Blitz-heavy defense. Gus is bred with a Tampa 2 and Seattle style defenses that don't blitz. And when you do not call or scheme blitzes often, you may not be as creative with them. We need some to fill that weakness so they can help Gus scheme and call some creative blitzes if (and likely when) the pass rush fails.

Two guys I would love for him to go after that fit that mold are:

Jerry Gray (former DC at Tennessee & Buffalo; now DB coach with Vikings) or

Tim Lewis (former DC at Pittsburgh and Giants; recently secondary at 49ers but likely fired after Tomsula was let go)

Neither Gray nor Lewis are ideal, but both know Gus' system and have good experience with other systems to hopefully adapt if need be. None of those big names would ever come here knowing that Bradley is likely gone after next year. 

For success this off season the Jaguars must:

#1.) Find their Earl Thomas (Free Safety) that the team hasn't found for the last 3 years as stated recently by HC Gus Bradley

either in this year's draft such as CB/FS Jalen from Florida or Free Agency like Eric Berry from KC.

#2.) Find a DC that can run the Defensive Scheme Gus Bradley has attempted for the last 3 years that he claims Babich failed at, possible suggestions for DC are;

a.)  Carolina Steve Wilks, Ast HC/ Defensive Backs

b.)  Chiefs Emmitt Thomas, Defensive Backs coach

c.)  Notre Dame Brian Kelly, HC College former Linebacker

d.)  49ers Tim Lewis, Defensive Back Coach - Was DB coach in Seattle 2009 coached under Eric Mangini whom coached under Bill Parcells.

e.)  UVA Al Groh, former Patriots DC team won AFC Championship in 1996.

#3.)  Draft a shutdown corner opposite of Davon House such as trading up for Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida since they will draft Jalen with the 5th overall pick.

#4.)  Sign a real pass rushing DE (to challenge Fowler Jr or as depth) or OLB (to replace Skuta or add depth) they have the funds might be one of the 1st or 2nd day of FA.

#5.)  Sign a LT to compete for starting role over Luke, and Center to compete (might also be 1st or 2nd day that GM Dave Caldwell was referring to).

Quote:Odds on favorite is Gus call his old college room mate up who averaged a C at physical fitness for the job.  Gus likes his positive attitude and the way he makes ice cream twist

[Image: FieldCricket.png]
Quote:I keep thinking there might be someone on Seattle's staff that Gus knows and would be able to come over and call the plays.
Gus called the plays when he was in Seattle....

he should do it in his final year.

Unless the scheme will change.

Fowler can play anywhere.... so switching to a more conventional 4-3 shouldn't be an issue, if that is what happens.

Not sure that is what happens though.

Drafting Jalen Ramsey,

Sign Mario Williams, and Oliver Vernon and  Eric Weddle. (Or some combination of players like this)

Probably beef up the interior of the Dline and LB corp with some mid round picks.

Probably some RB and Oline depth late.

Maybe 1-2 more mid tier FAs.

And it's an all-in year with Bradley and his bus of Leos Ottos and culture.
Quote:Odds on favorite is Gus call his old college room mate up who averaged a C at physical fitness for the job.  Gus likes his positive attitude and the way he makes ice cream twist

Don't you get tired of producing the same old crap? You need new material. Your stuff is boring and juvenile.

Perhaps your mom could help.
Quote:The next best thing is the guy who currently coaches our D-line Todd Wash. He coached with Gus in Seattle as well and while he hasn't officially called plays he was given a pseudo promotion to run defense coordinator last year and our run defense was usually the best part of our defense the majority of the year. He could be ready for the next step in coaching progression.

I see this being more likely... Wash is an up and comer, and Gus isn't going to want to stray too far from the family farm when it comes to defensive scheme. If he decides he wants to call plays, he can elevate Wash and put his stamp on the defense without too much rocking of the proverbial boat.
Unfortunately, Todd Wash will be promoted.
Lets hope this new DC never heard of a zone defense..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24