Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is Andrew Luck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Couple Andrew Luck related articles.  One interesting, one funny.  This is his 3rd year, and should tell us a lot more about his career trajectory.  Will this be his breakout year?  Will his stats catch up to the hype?  Will he be taken seriously in the playoffs?  Or is this the year we are officially not worried about him and thankful Peyton Manning is gone?  

How Good Is Andrew Luck? (fivethirtyeight)

Andrew Luck Fan Fiction Part 1 (BCC)

[Image: BdvdSZYIAAArrbE.jpg]

(special thanks to whoever created this image)

This thread is going to become huge.  

I agree this year will tell us a lot.  So far he has been a really good QB, but this year should let us know if he is going to turn that corner and become one of those 3/4 guys you have to be near perfect to beat.  Should be interesting.

I think he gets a free pass. Part of it is because he's "the natural". Some of it is because he been in an awful division. And some of it is because he plays in Indianapolis.

Most people only see him a couple of times a year. He's not on national TV every other week like Brady, Peyton and Rodgers. People don't see him as often as they do those guys.

He doesn't play in a major east coast market like RGIII and Eli. So he doesn't get the scrutiny those guys do.

The numbers don't lie. He's been middle of the road. 

I think Luck can be successful if they build a team around him, but I don't think they can build a team around him
Quote:I think Luck can be successful if they build a team around him, but I don't think they can build a team around him

I agree. I think Grigson is borderline incompetent. He's good at spending Irsay's money, and Irsay is good at spending Irsay's money. It's a vicious cycle. 
I think Luck with be what Aaron Rodgers is post Brett Farve to the Colts.
Quote:I think Luck with be what Aaron Rodgers is post Brett Farve to the Colts.

In what way? Because I think Rodgers is every bit as good as Favre was and he has as many rings and counting.

I don't think Luck will ever be as good as Manning.
Quote:In what way? Because I think Rodgers is every bit as good as Favre was and he has as many rings and counting.

I guess technically he's done what Manning has done. Plow through an easy division only to be blown out in the playoffs.
Quote:In what way? Because I think Rodgers is every bit as good as Favre was and he has as many rings and counting.

I don't think Rodgers is as good as Farve and all Luck has to do is get one ring to match Peyton.
Quote:I don't think Rodgers is as good as Farve and all Luck has to do is get one ring to match Peyton.

Rodgers isn't done yet. They should roll through that division this year. And he has some stability at running back now.

I know this is the equivalent to football sacrilege, but Rodgers is better than Favre.

There, I said it.
Quote:I know this is the equivalent to football sacrilege, but Rodgers is better than Favre.

There, I said it.

I kinda think so too but I wasn't ready to wade into those waters.
Quote:I know this is the equivalent to football sacrilege, but Rodgers is better than Favre.

There, I said it.

Favre might be the most entertaining QB we have seen but you can make an argument he is the third best QB the pack has had.

Luck > Manning..   its fairly evident already
Rodgers has had some great years but until he can prove as long of a sustained record of success, I can't say he is better than Brett.

Anyone who says luck is better than manning is totally drunk. Luck has been average or maybe somewhere just above so far. He has potential and has shown to be able to rise to the occasion in crunch time but he is nowhere near the Level of Peyton and he is not an elite QB...yet.
Quote:Couple Andrew Luck related articles.  One interesting, one funny.  This is his 3rd year, and should tell us a lot more about his career trajectory.  Will this be his breakout year?  Will his stats catch up to the hype?  Will he be taken seriously in the playoffs?  Or is this the year we are officially not worried about him and thankful Peyton Manning is gone?  

How Good Is Andrew Luck? (fivethirtyeight)

Andrew Luck Fan Fiction Part 1 (BCC)

[Image: BdvdSZYIAAArrbE.jpg]

(special thanks to whoever created this image)
Is that last one Chuck Norris?
Football is a team sport, and thus a QB is unable to lead a team to SuperBowl without a supporting cast.  Its funny because the QB is expected to be the teams captain / leader, and gets a huge amount of credit or blame depending on the outcome of the game regardless of his own personal performance on the field.  That is of course how it has always been, so when you look at a QB ranking you should consider the wins to a small degree but not as the sole basis.

That being said Luck would be in my top 10 of best QBs in the NFL (still playing), he has several weapons at his disposal on Offense but his Defense needs improvement.  Playing in a weak division increases his post season chances, and he has a veteran QB coach Clyde Chrisensen to help him learn from his mistakes.  He completed 339-of-627 passes for 4,374 yards, 23 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Luck’s passing yards, attempts and 300-yard passing games (six) were the most by an NFL rookie in league history. ). Luck was named to the NFL Pro Bowl following his rookie campaign. He earned AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors (Week 9), while earning PEPSI MAX NFL Rookie of the Week accolades on three occasions and FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week honors in Week 9.

He was expected to be one of the best QBs in a decade, and so far has come close to living up to the hype. 

The Jaguars will need to improve the DBs, and get a better pass rush in hopes of beating him and the Colts in the next few seasons.

He's above average, he's not as great as most people believe. He could take a leap soon in his game though
Quote:Luck > Manning..   its fairly evident already

lol

Going off their first two years in the league they have similar numbers in yards, tds, with Peyton having way more interceptions.

I give Luck the advantage because unlike Manning Luck has 600 yards rushing and 9 TDs where as Manning has 120 yards rushing and 2 tds at this point.

Luck also led a team that was awful to the playoffs in his first year when Manning stayed 3-13

Manning did not get his first playoff win until 2003 his 6th season

Luck did it in his second season

So ya Luck > Manning when comparing their first 2 years fact

but i believe in the long run Luck will be > Manning   Opinion

Quote: 

<div style="margin:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:.8175em;"> 
Going off their first two years in the league they have similar numbers in yards, tds, with Peyton having way more interceptions.

I give Luck the advantage because unlike Manning Luck has 600 yards rushing and 9 TDs where as Manning has 120 yards rushing and 2 tds at this point.

Luck also led a team that was awful to the playoffs in his first year when Manning stayed 3-13

Manning did not get his first playoff win until 2003 his 6th season

Luck did it in his second season

So ya Luck > Manning when comparing their first 2 years fact

but i believe in the long run Luck will be > Manning   Opinion

</div>

You cannot compare passing stats from 1998-99 with passing stats from 2012-13.

Different era with different rules.