Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Travon Walker: 2nd Year Thoughts Etc (merged)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Guys, I was just looking at the stats, and Hutchinson seems to be having a much better rookie year than Walker. He is up to 7 sacks. However, that strip sack fumble of walker’s this past weekend really showcased his potential. Walker has some raw traits that continue to flash. Based on what you have seen so far, would you go with Walker over Hutchinson if drafting again? Even though I was pulling for Hutch pre-draft, I now have the gut feeling that we got it right longterm with Walker (maybe is the homer in me). What do you guys think?
I was wanting Hutch but I'm ok with Walker now. I think he has more to learn and the staff needs to move him permanently to end but I think he's going to be very good ultimately. I do think he'll probably continue to be considered overdrafted but that's how it goes sometimes.
Many will say that Walker is better playing from the hand on ground stance. I agree, but he hasn't done much of that for us. Hutchinson on the other hand, has been playing at the traditional DE position; he also has better pass rush technique at this stage of his career. As he gains experience, Walker probably becomes a better overall player and more of a disruptive force. Assuming he avoids serious injury.
7 sacks isn't that impressive, if you watch those sacks most of them have come from running free incl the 1 he got on us. Him and Walker aren't really seperating from eachother in anyway. Sauce Gardner however should have been our pick regardless.

Of course in a few years we could come back and Walker could be a menace and Gardner falls off so really who knows.
(12-13-2022, 10:47 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]7 sacks isn't that impressive, if you watch those sacks most of them have come from running free incl the 1 he got on us. Him and Walker aren't really seperating from eachother in anyway. Sauce Gardner however should have been our pick regardless.

Of course in a few years we could come back and Walker could be a menace and Gardner falls off so really who knows.

Came here to say this.  A lot of Hutch's sacks have been unimpeded to the QB and not him doing anything special, but the media narrative certainly won't admit that.
(12-13-2022, 11:26 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2022, 10:47 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]7 sacks isn't that impressive, if you watch those sacks most of them have come from running free incl the 1 he got on us. Him and Walker aren't really seperating from eachother in anyway. Sauce Gardner however should have been our pick regardless.

Came here to say this.  A lot of Hutch's sacks have been unimpeded to the QB and not him doing anything special, but the media narrative certainly won't admit that.

I know I keep bringing up Gardner when we talk about walker/hutch but man, imagine this secondary with Tyson and Sauce. Would be like Ramsey and Bouyee all over again.
I want to see more of walker in a 3 point stanc before I judge. Walker has game wrecker potential.
(12-13-2022, 11:41 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2022, 11:26 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: [ -> ]Came here to say this.  A lot of Hutch's sacks have been unimpeded to the QB and not him doing anything special, but the media narrative certainly won't admit that.

I know I keep bringing up Gardner when we talk about walker/hutch but man, imagine this secondary with Tyson and Sauce. Would be like Ramsey and Bouyee all over again.

Jags are almost back to that. Maybe get a top notch cb in the draft or maybe Darius Williams can start playing like he did for the rams now that hes back outside where he should of been.

As far as walker goes, just wait until he figures it out, Hes going to be a beast. Hes getting there. I'd like to see him and allen get hot in the last 4 games and really cause a lot of trouble.
(12-13-2022, 11:26 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: [ -> ]Came here to say this.  A lot of Hutch's sacks have been unimpeded to the QB and not him doing anything special, but the media narrative certainly won't admit that.

I wanted Sauce in the draft too.
Knew we weren't getting him after signing Shaq in FA though.
Just annoying that we passed over IMO the best player in the draft because we were 'set' at corner and now 7 months later it's the biggest need on the team Wallbash
Yeah, all the people calling for Sauce seem vindicated based on his rookie season play. However, I think Walker and Hutch will always be compared, due to their draft and field positions being so similar. That monster hit against Tanehill this past weekend reignited my excitement over what Walker can be. I don’t think any of Hutch’s plays have had that kind of wow factor to them.
(12-14-2022, 08:10 AM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, all the people calling for Sauce seem vindicated based on his rookie season play. However, I think Walker and Hutch will always be compared, due to their draft and field positions being so similar. That monster hit against Tanehill this past weekend reignited my excitement over what Walker can be. I don’t think any of Hutch’s plays have had that kind of wow factor to them.

I agree. At the time I wanted Hutch over Walker because he was 'safer' and we couldn't afford to miss on another high draft pick.
I came round on Walker pretty quickly though. He's a very solid player already and can only get better.
Walker could still be really special if he can learn some technique.
If Hutch isn't a better player than Trevon at this stage he never will be.
(12-14-2022, 08:23 AM)WYjagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 08:10 AM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, all the people calling for Sauce seem vindicated based on his rookie season play. However, I think Walker and Hutch will always be compared, due to their draft and field positions being so similar. That monster hit against Tanehill this past weekend reignited my excitement over what Walker can be. I don’t think any of Hutch’s plays have had that kind of wow factor to them.

I agree. At the time I wanted Hutch over Walker because he was 'safer' and we couldn't afford to miss on another high draft pick.
I came round on Walker pretty quickly though. He's a very solid player already and can only get better.
Walker could still be really special if he can learn some technique.
If Hutch isn't a better player than Trevon at this stage he never will be.

If Trevon doesn't get better at pass rush it will be a wasted #1. He's got time and I'm not impatient, but the fact remains that he was an NFL project and Hutch was way more ready to play DE in the NFL. I wouldn't have taken either one as I'm a proponent of offense with high picks, but of the 3 D players discussed here I think Walker has both the highest potential and farthest to go to reach it of the three.

That brings up the question why he can be unimpeded though. 

I think Hutch is ahead at this moment but on the other hand there are questions about which position Walker's been in. Since the entire defense for the most part has been bad it's not clear to me if it's just him being raw, scheme or other other combinations of issues. 

Fair or not but part of the evaluation is what coaches do too. If a player is asked to play a position they're not natural at or their team mates are bad then that affects them too.
(12-13-2022, 09:49 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, I was just looking at the stats, and Hutchinson seems to be having a much better rookie year than Walker. He is up to 7 sacks. However, that strip sack fumble of walker’s this past weekend really showcased his potential. Walker has some raw traits that continue to flash. Based on what you have seen so far, would you go with Walker over Hutchinson if drafting again? Even though I was pulling for Hutch pre-draft, I now have the gut feeling that we got it right longterm with Walker (maybe is the homer in me). What do you guys think?

I was team Hutch but I got very 2013 vibes out of this darft, where there was not much worthy of a top pick to choose from. As long as Walker isn't the next Joeckel, we should be fine. Both should be consistent guys, but I don't see either one being regarded as the best at their position in the next few seasons.

Had there been a QB worth a darn in this darft, we could have made out like bandits. Neither Hutch nor Walker are appealing enough to me to have hung up on any significant offer to give up that first pick.

I know I keep bringing up Gardner when we talk about walker/hutch but man

Leave Minshew out of this !!!   We all miss him.  We all want him back but he has moved on and is having success elsewhere, leading his team to a 12-1 record right now.

Sacks is sacks. If the other team forgets or fails to block him, why is that a ding on his record?
(12-14-2022, 09:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2022, 09:49 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, I was just looking at the stats, and Hutchinson seems to be having a much better rookie year than Walker. He is up to 7 sacks. However, that strip sack fumble of walker’s this past weekend really showcased his potential. Walker has some raw traits that continue to flash. Based on what you have seen so far, would you go with Walker over Hutchinson if drafting again? Even though I was pulling for Hutch pre-draft, I now have the gut feeling that we got it right longterm with Walker (maybe is the homer in me). What do you guys think?

I was team Hutch but I got very 2013 vibes out of this darft, where there was not much worthy of a top pick to choose from. As long as Walker isn't the next Joeckel, we should be fine. Both should be consistent guys, but I don't see either one being regarded as the best at their position in the next few seasons.

Had there been a QB worth a darn in this darft, we could have made out like bandits. Neither Hutch nor Walker are appealing enough to me to have hung up on any significant offer to give up that first pick.

This is a reasonable take.
(12-14-2022, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]

Sacks is sacks. If the other team forgets or fails to block him, why is that a ding on his record?

If you're trying to project future success, blown assignments aren't something you can bet on consistently continuing.  Good for him for still making the play though.  I'd prefer to see Walker with the better stat line, but you can't evaluate on stats alone.  To be fair, I've watched Hutch's "highlights" and the game against us and not much else.  I've just seen more potential in Walker to be able to get to a point where he more consistently beats his man 1 on 1 than I think Hutch has and what I've seen from him in my limited viewing.  That aspect is more important to me.

If Walker were getting blown assignment sacks, I'd be an objective enough observer to understand it and admit it in this comparison between the two.
(12-14-2022, 09:48 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 09:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I was team Hutch but I got very 2013 vibes out of this darft, where there was not much worthy of a top pick to choose from. As long as Walker isn't the next Joeckel, we should be fine. Both should be consistent guys, but I don't see either one being regarded as the best at their position in the next few seasons.

This is a reasonable take.

this might be the worst trash talk ever.

(thanks)

No CB has ever gone #1 and I don't think anyone has big enough balls to be the first unless the dude is the consensus best player at his position ever lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43