Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Great, Big Joeckel Thread (merged threads)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was this just a miss by Caldwell? Is the NFL too much for Joeckel? Eric Fisher too?

[Image: 4503358732_985356a4ab.jpg]

That was not a very good draft to be picking top 5.

I hope not, I want to see some games first. The Pitt game should be a nice test for him
I think they're both still developing, but the Eagles sure made the right call.

That draft was full of duds. To say Joeckel is garbage is a bit too much. Has he lived up to expectations? Not yet. I'm willing to give him the rest of the year to prove that he is at least servicable. 

The left side of our lines scares the hell out of me. I look at the ride side with Parnell and Linder and feel good. Its the backside that worries me to death. 

First post here...

Joeckel is certainly looking like the wrong choice, but this draft class is one of the worst in 20+ years. The whole first round is a joke aside from a few players.

Travis Frederick has been the best player from that draft class' first round. He's a great part of that Cowboys line, but he's certainly no superstar.

It's looking like there really weren't any good choices for us in that draft; just varying degrees of bad. In hindsight, of course it's easy to say who we should have taken but at the time, based on need, it wasn't a bad pick...but the rest of the league (with the exception of a few) got theirs wrong, too.

You could argue that Dave's miss was taking BAP there, then trading one of our few decent players (Eugene Monroe) to make room for Joeckel.  That said, Monroe has gotten injured the last two seasons and his play has dropped, but, when healthy, he is better than Joeckel.  I am really hoping the light goes on for Luke and he becomes a solid starter.  However, I am pretty much giving up on the idea of him ever becoming an elite LT.  

All in all, I can't hate on Dave for it too much.  It was a really bad draft, and Joeckel was pretty much the consensus number 1 pick.

He's having a tough time blocking people. Other than that, his career has gone swimmingly.
Joeckel is Baby Boselli v2.0 (Mike Pearson).  Read this article and it is like a rinse repeat step

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G1-12...down-dirty
Quote:He's having a tough time blocking people. Other than that, his career has gone swimmingly.

He's having a hard time cooking. Other than that, his career as a chef has gone swimmingly

He's having a hard time writing. Other than that, his career as an author has gone swimmingly
Joeckel will be fine, but that was a scary pick. A scared pick, scared to mess it up. Otherwise known as conservative or can't miss.

Ehhh... actually, that initial thought of mine was wrong. This was the smartest pick Dave coulda made. #1 overall prospect~
My teal-colored glasses side likes to think that Joeckel was screwed by bouncing between right and left before breaking his leg as a rookie, and that continued recovery for the broken leg slowed him down last year while he learned on the job how to be a pro left tackle. He'll be much improved this season, right?

The realist in me thinks that Joeckel would have at least flashed by now if he were going to be great, and I'm to the point where I'd settle for him just being an above-average tackle for a long time. Think Jeff Backus.

Quote:Ehhh... actually, that initial thought of mine was wrong. This was the smartest pick Dave coulda made. #1 overall prospect~
The pick was pretty widely approved of at the time. The top of the 2013 draft was a pretty sad place to be. I mean, the first overall pick was an offensive tackle from Eastern Michigan. That's not exactly a marquee year.
Quote:The pick was pretty widely approved of at the time. The top of the 2013 draft was a pretty sad place to be. I mean, the first overall pick was an offensive tackle from Eastern Michigan. That's not exactly a marquee year.

Very true.. And even at that, the chiefs were still rather on the fence about which LT to pick (though i always felt like Fischer seems more like a RT)
He has a lot of room for approvement....and all that kinda stuff...
Quote:First post here...

Joeckel is certainly looking like the wrong choice, but this draft class is one of the worst in 20+ years. The whole first round is a joke aside from a few players.

Travis Frederick has been the best player from that draft class' first round. He's a great part of that Cowboys line, but he's certainly no superstar.

It's looking like there really weren't any good choices for us in that draft; just varying degrees of bad. In hindsight, of course it's easy to say who we should have taken but at the time, based on need, it wasn't a bad pick...but the rest of the league (with the exception of a few) got theirs wrong, too.

Besides that, the Eagles OT was suspended for the first few games, and it's really tough to draft a player already facing a suspension with a top two pick.

Quote:You could argue that Dave's miss was taking BAP there, then trading one of our few decent players (Eugene Monroe) to make room for Joeckel.  That said, Monroe has gotten injured the last two seasons and his play has dropped, but, when healthy, he is better than Joeckel.  I am really hoping the light goes on for Luke and he becomes a solid starter.  However, I am pretty much giving up on the idea of him ever becoming an elite LT.  

All in all, I can't hate on Dave for it too much.  It was a really bad draft, and Joeckel was pretty much the consensus number 1 pick.

Indeed Monroe was much better LT, however, he might have been injured with the Jaguars just like he was with his new team.

His rookie year was a flop as he was switching positions and then had to re-learn LT in the NFL then getting injured for half the season. The guy isn't going to be an elite LT but you just hope he can hold up on Blake's blind side. If not, hopefully our new OC is smart enough to have someone help chip that side or there is room to step up and throw. He won't win every battle every time in a game you just hope he wins his share. Hasn't really done that yet.

Quote:Was this just a miss by Caldwell? Is the NFL too much for Joeckel? Eric Fisher too?
That is ridiculous Luke isnt garbage he's a human being, but yeah he sucks at LT.