Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pederson/Taylor's Playcalling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
I don't know who is making the playcalls anymore but it's hindering our team especially when it comes to no-brainer moments.

Not punting on 4th and 5 at midfield with 4 minutes remaining in the half before the Chiefs get the ball again after halftime was bad - especially with how great our defense has been playing.

We have the ball at the Chiefs goalline and don't run it once with ETN, or our esteemed short yardage back, and actually manage to lose yards and only come up with 3 points.

You don't win games against very good teams overthinking some of these playcalls and I hope this doesn't become an issue as the season progresses.
It'll be the hot topic post loss.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
It should be scrutinized after this game, regardless of a win/loss, but I think it would be something to keep track of over the course of this season if it is egregiously bad.

Like I get if it was a 4th and 1 - and you decide to go for it but man, it's starting to look like we're shooting ourselves in the foot with some obvious playcalls.

Some of the plays are just too cute and have not worked against the Chiefs like the TLaw backwards pass to Kirk to throw across the field to ETN for a negative play.
They have been a little bit too cute at times in almost all games.

It probably works more than it doesn't but it contributed to our loss today. Maybe it's time to tone it down in these types of games.
this is it. Let’s put together a drive
(09-17-2023, 03:43 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]They have been a little bit too cute at times in almost all games.

It probably works more than it doesn't but it contributed to our loss today. Maybe it's time to tone it down in these types of games.

Yeah I get doing it every once in a while when the situation calls for it - but some of the playcalls came in the worst time possible with how the game transpired.

Our defense has held their team at bay for most of the game - and the game is still winnable with 8 minutes remaining, but we could have actually been leading if not for some of these coaching miscues.
I was calling for Press Taylor’s head in the first quarter of the Colts game. Pederson needs to call the plays the entire game.
(09-17-2023, 03:56 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I was calling for Press Taylor’s head in the first quarter of the Colts game. Pederson needs to call the plays the entire game.

They literally said on TV that it's Pederson in the first half and Taylor in the 2nd.
Another questionable call not taking the 3 points...
I think decision-making in the building is a concern. That was atrocious. We play like that next week and its 1-2, the Texans will whip us with our line playing like it is AND the play calling being this bad.
Dropped balls, late throws, no blocking, Ridley couldn't get in the game. Game plan was terrible execution was terrible, Trevor was off it. Plus 2 in turnovers at home and u score 0 tds? Should have been plus three but we dropped a lateral.
This was one of the worst offensive coaching jobs I've seen as a Jaguars fan.

I've watched this team since 2007. And man, I've never seen a coaching staff absolutely dishonor the talent of a team the way Doug and Press just did.

This was a sickening display of how you manage a game. The Defense was killing it. And instead of letting them shine, Doug put them under duress over and over again. And they still held a great team to 17 points. And then on the offensive play calling? Holy cow, man. Just terrible concepts. Just terrible calls. It's obvious that Pederson is letting Press call plays. And it's just tragic. Press Taylor has no idea what he's doing.

Last year, it was Trevor Lawrence that was making incorrect decisions in the red zone. This year, he's not even getting the opportunity to make a read. These play calls are are single route concepts. And if the defense sniffs out the concept, the play is blown up. Last year, there were multi level routes that Trevor had to ability to read. He doesn't get those plays anymore. This offense is more talented than last years offense. And yet, after 2 weeks, we look just like the one dimensional offense we had from 2009 to 2020.

Pederson either needs to take over the offense or he should just retire. This team has too much talent to waste on a stupid Press Taylor project.
(09-17-2023, 04:10 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Dropped balls, late throws, no blocking, Ridley couldn't get in the game.    Game plan was terrible execution was terrible, Trevor was off it.  Plus 2 in turnovers at home and u score 0 tds?  Should have been plus three but we dropped a lateral.

Yep.

Lack of execution on the field absolutely hurt us but I think our coaches (whoever called the plays) really put our team in a bad position multiple times with bad playcalls from the get-go.

It's obvious that you can't hold Mahomes and Co without scoring all 4 quarters, but our defense did a great job stopping them overall. Our coaches were overthinking some blatant calls that should have been made and that really contributed to this loss as much as the lack of execution.

We're not a bad team like we used to be, so we don't have to go for those crazy longshot gambles like trying to convert a 4th and 5, etc. And please for the love of everything, lets try running once when we're at the opponents goalline with ETN or our "short yardage" rb we used a 3rd rounder for.
(09-17-2023, 03:43 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]They have been a little bit too cute at times in almost all games.

Way too cute.
(09-17-2023, 04:23 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]This was one of the worst offensive coaching jobs I've seen as a Jaguars fan. 

I've watched this team since 2007.  And man, I've never seen a coaching staff absolutely dishonor the talent of a team the way Doug and Press just did.

This was a sickening display of how you manage a game.  The Defense was killing it.  And instead of letting them shine, Doug put them under duress over and over again.  And they still held a great team to 17 points.  And then on the offensive play calling?  Holy cow, man.  Just terrible concepts.  Just terrible calls.  It's obvious that Pederson is letting Press call plays.  And it's just tragic.  Press Taylor has no idea what he's doing.

Last year, it was Trevor Lawrence that was making incorrect decisions in the red zone.  This year, he's not even getting the opportunity to make a read.  These play calls are are single route concepts.  And if the defense sniffs out the concept, the play is blown up.  Last year, there were multi level routes that Trevor had to ability to read.  He doesn't get those plays anymore.  This offense is more talented than last years offense.  And yet, after 2 weeks, we look just like the one dimensional offense we had from 2009 to 2020. 

Pederson either needs to take over the offense or he should just retire.  This team has too much talent to waste on a stupid Press Taylor project.

LOL
At this rate we were sucking too bad to get Press hired away
I just disagree.
If Trevor got some of those endzone throws just a foot lower, we're having a totally different conversation. The play calls were fine. The misdirection may seem overly cute but it's necessary when you have a terrible mismatch like our interior o-line.
(09-17-2023, 04:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I just disagree.
If Trevor got some of those endzone throws just a foot lower, we're having a totally different conversation. The play calls were fine. The misdirection may seem overly cute but it's necessary when you have a terrible mismatch like our interior o-line.

Trevor put them where they only could be. There was no separation. He did miss one however.

There’s no flow to the offense, and we give you the run spontaneously. 100% on Press
(09-17-2023, 04:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I just disagree.
If Trevor got some of those endzone throws just a foot lower, we're having a totally different conversation.  The play calls were fine.  The misdirection may seem overly cute but it's necessary when you have a terrible mismatch like our interior o-line.

Like the other poster replied to you, I think TLaw missed the one where Zay was open - the others seemed to be a "either my receiver gets it or nobody does" throw.

My biggest gripe was not punting from midfield on that 4th and 5. That was a massive coaching mishap going for it there with 4 minutes left to give Mahomes a short field and the ball back after halftime as well. Making Mahomes work a longer field with how our defense was playing was an obvious call that should have been made.

And then not running it with ETN or our 3rd round short yardage back selected for that exact scenario was boggling. It's like we get too cute in the most inopportune moments and I hope it doesn't become a trend as the year goes on...
(09-17-2023, 04:01 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]They literally said on TV that it's Pederson in the first half and Taylor in the 2nd.

Pederson said last week after the game that Press called plays in the 2nd half last season.

I think this is a lie and a half truth at best. No way Press is calling plays and no one says anything about it. Pederson has been pushing that Press is great and ready to be a HC. If Press was really calling plays, Pederson would have told everyone last year specially after the playoff comeback.

At best I think Press was helping suggest a play or 2 but no way he was calling the plays.

It's obvious that that someone different is calling the plays in the 1st 3 quarters this year and then Pederson finally takes over as the Jags have to try and win.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41